Bishop Waterson 14 Logan 0

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Re: Bishop Waterson @ Logan

Post by Barber1973 »

Sounds old school. Administration wont like that. Thats what we need.

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

Sounds old school. Administration wont like that. Thats what we need someone who will start ay the lower levels and get some pride back in the program

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

27-7 Watterson in this one.

Closer to the end of the season, but I don’t know if we are closer to change.

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

Im hoping so fer a change in coaching staff. It is hard 2 go 2 the ballgames and knowing the chiefs r gonna get out coached every single game while the kids r still fighting their tails off

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Actually , Perry went to Westfall when he left Logan. To my knowledge I am the only Logan coach/athlete to leave Logan and be the HC at Zanesville Rosecrans.

Have gun, will travel
Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

Paladin u putting ur name in

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Yes, you are correct Paladin.

AT THE RESERVATION
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

1987chieftains wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 pm
Barber1973 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:49 am Who is coach perry?
1985-89 Clarence Perry went 41-10 overall and 22-3 in the SEOAL. Took Logan to its 1st playoff game. I believe he came from the Wilmington area. After Logan he went to Zanesville Rosecrans. He was a no BS, tell you exactly what on his mind kinda guy. He also hired Dale Amex to coach I think LB's. But most importantly he turned Logan into what....... well, what we use to think of when someone mentioned Logan Chieftain football.
Clarence came from Westfall and he left for Zanesville. No BS type of Coach and would play the best no mater who the players parents where. :mrgreen:

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Game Day Prediction:

Watterson 38

Logan 14

:mrgreen:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

moonshine wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:54 am

Clarence came from Westfall and he left for Zanesville. No BS type of Coach and would play the best no mater who the players parents where. :mrgreen:
This is correct. Perry came FROM Westfall and went to Zanesville. Logan and Zanesville played in 1991 for the first time since 1923 - a game I believe Perry added to the schedule while he was Logan coach.

Perry's son Matt was the quarterback at ZHS. The Blue Devils and Chiefs had some tight contests - all won by Perry over his protege (Amyx).

Perry's first year the roster was down below 35 kids by the first game. Many players couldn't handle coaches style and conditioning demands. But those who stayed won 9 games in his first season.

When (if, lol) I finally get around to writing my book there will be a lot of credit to Perry and his staff for rebuilding the foundation of what most of us know as "Chieftain" football. Perry also was the first to have his team wear purple and helmets and added the spear that Logan has worn (in some form) since 1986.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Ok, I was right then, sort of.... Locos that would be a great read!! Also, I remember Perry going 9-1 his first three years at Logan. How many years was he a Zanesville?

AT THE RESERVATION
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

1987chieftains wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 am Ok, I was right then, sort of.... Locos that would be a great read!! Also, I remember Perry going 9-1 his first three years at Logan. How many years was he a Zanesville?
Perry was at ZHS for four seasons - overall record was 20-20.

Mel Adams also left Logan to coach at Zanesville - Mel went 20-7-3 in three seasons at ZHS.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Lots of connections to Zanesville. I remember Westfall being associated to Perry but didn’t recall Zanesville. I should have. I played for Mel Adams at Logan becoming an All SEOAL and All SEO district player. He later was used as one of my references for the HC job at Rosecrans . Mel was highly respected in Zanesville and I got the job based on his recommendation and that fact came straight from my new employer who personally knew Mel. However Mel was leaving to become a school administrator in the Marion, Ohio area. Perry got the Zanesville job based not only on his record, but also the success former Logan coaches had in Zanesville area, lol.

And, NO, not interested in coaching again lol.

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Go Chiefs

Have gun, will travel
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:44 am Lots of connections to Zanesville. I remember Westfall being associated to Perry but didn’t recall Zanesville. I should have. I played for Mel Adams at Logan becoming an All SEOAL and All SEO district player. He later was used as one of my references for the HC job at Rosecrans . Mel was highly respected in Zanesville and I got the job based on his recommendation and that fact came straight from my new employer who personally knew Mel. However Mel was leaving to become a school administrator in the Marion, Ohio area. Perry got the Zanesville job based not only on his record, but also the success former Logan coaches had in Zanesville area, lol.

The old gunslinger doesn't have a couple more seasons in him?

Perry isn't recalled with particular fondness in Zanesville. Ironically he also switched ZHS to an "all blue" look - helmets, jerseys, pants, like he had done at Logan. ZHS has traditionally worn WHITE helmets, so that move combined with a so-so record didn't do him a lot of favors with the locals.

Of course - Perry also coached four season around a legend. Whit Parks went 44-16 from '84 to '89, Perry went 20-20 from '90-'93, and then Parks came back from '94-'98. Parks is a legend at ZHS. Chad Grandstaff - current ZHS boss - played for Parks.

Last I knew Clarence was an administrator up in NE Ohio. I met him once at an LHS football golf outing. He and Dale are still pretty tight.

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

This seems like a mismatch. Does anyone know anything about waterston? How many kids do they have per acre? Do they look fast on film?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Locos - you know what District Perry went to in NEO ?

The old gunslinger is retired,lol. I do have an area friend who has been a HC into his 80s, even being the HC at Steubenville, Youngstown Boardman, Butler,Pa., Niles McKinley, Cortland Lakeview, LaBrae, etc. He resigned his last job last year but looking for another HC job. Says he will die with his boots on. Knows his stuff.

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

BTW, Whitt Parks was also the HC at Rosecrans at one time. When he left the Zanesville area, he went to the Midwest Athletic Conf. (MAC) with Coldwater, Marion Local, etc. Believe he ended up at Minster.

One of my former assistants left Rosecrans to become the AD at Zanesville. I believe he hired Perry. Lots of history in Zanesville.

Mel Adams was good friends with long, long time ZHS HC George Vlerbome, who he succeeded. Mel had been the winning South HC in the Ohio North-South All Star game.

Have gun, will travel
BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

loganlocos wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:28 am
Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:44 am Lots of connections to Zanesville. I remember Westfall being associated to Perry but didn’t recall Zanesville. I should have. I played for Mel Adams at Logan becoming an All SEOAL and All SEO district player. He later was used as one of my references for the HC job at Rosecrans . Mel was highly respected in Zanesville and I got the job based on his recommendation and that fact came straight from my new employer who personally knew Mel. However Mel was leaving to become a school administrator in the Marion, Ohio area. Perry got the Zanesville job based not only on his record, but also the success former Logan coaches had in Zanesville area, lol.

The old gunslinger doesn't have a couple more seasons in him?

Perry isn't recalled with particular fondness in Zanesville. Ironically he also switched ZHS to an "all blue" look - helmets, jerseys, pants, like he had done at Logan. ZHS has traditionally worn WHITE helmets, so that move combined with a so-so record didn't do him a lot of favors with the locals.

Of course - Perry also coached four season around a legend. Whit Parks went 44-16 from '84 to '89, Perry went 20-20 from '90-'93, and then Parks came back from '94-'98. Parks is a legend at ZHS. Chad Grandstaff - current ZHS boss - played for Parks.

Last I knew Clarence was an administrator up in NE Ohio. I met him once at an LHS football golf outing. He and Dale are still pretty tight.
Glad to say we gave Parks two of his losses in back-to-back years in 88 & 89..he was quoted as saying he was "embarrassed" after the 88 game and refused to comment after the 89 game..haha! 89 game was a classic. Got him fired, but then he was my QB coach next season in college..needless to say he wasn't my biggest fan. For some reason, they all still love him.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:26 pm Locos - you know what District Perry went to in NEO ?

The old gunslinger is retired,lol. I do have an area friend who has been a HC into his 80s, even being the HC at Steubenville, Youngstown Boardman, Butler,Pa., Niles McKinley, Cortland Lakeview, LaBrae, etc. He resigned his last job last year but looking for another HC job. Says he will die with his boots on. Knows his stuff.
Unfortunately I don't know for sure. I always get he and Bob Boynton confused as far as where they went after Logan. Boynton went up to Amherst Steele and was the Super there for a period.

I want to say Perry might have been at Admiral King?

Return to “Football”