SEOPS Hippo

Re: Friday August 21 jamboree updates

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

couldn't keep from sayin it.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

How much time left? It should be close to finished.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote:West will be fine.
Johnson Central is a really good team. They would be D3 if they played in Ohio. They could field two teams that would be competitive in the SOCII. They would wax most local teams.
:roll:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Well Johnson Central did beat Wheelersburg 14-3 in 2007. Wasn't Wheelersburg really good that year?

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

No EM is that bad. They didn't make the play offs last year and lost a group of starters. Next week we will be able to get a read on the Burg and the Tigers. No hiding, ducking or whatever.

On_the_sidelines
Waterboy

Post by On_the_sidelines »

I think it's interesting and worth noting that although this was a Portsmouth West scrimmage, it was week 1 for Johnson Central. This game counted towards their regular season win total. It did last year as well.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

luvbigcats wrote:Johnson Central is a very good football team. The game was alot closer than the score indicates. Johnson Central had a pick in the end zone on a ball that went off the hands of receiver. We fumbled around the 10 JC recovered in the endzone. Most of mistakes West made are very fixable. JC is probably the best team we will see this season.
I agree, JC will probably be the best Team you see all year. They seem to be loaded year in and year out.

bilco 2
Freshman Team

Post by bilco 2 »

sounds like you had one team wanting too win, and one team looking too figure out what needs fixed. sounds like west trying too work out the bugs, before next week when it does count.jmo.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

On_the_sidelines wrote:I think it's interesting and worth noting that although this was a Portsmouth West scrimmage, it was week 1 for Johnson Central. This game counted towards their regular season win total. It did last year as well.
This was a scrimmage for JC also, it didn't count as a regular season win. JC's first game of their season is this Friday against Fairland.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

So what you are saying is........ JC is not that good compared to our Ohio teams. Look at Ashland. #6? They were awful last year. Ironton ran all over them. But Ironton got steamrolled twice by Burg. I am going to say it for you. West is in trouble.

Perhaps the conclusion that should be drawn is that Wheelersburg is that good. Jamboree games are still scrimmages and thus are not necessarily great predictors of a team's final success or failure.

#15pigskinfan$$1
Waterboy

Post by #15pigskinfan$$1 »

On_the_sidelines wrote:I think it's interesting and worth noting that although this was a Portsmouth West scrimmage, it was week 1 for Johnson Central. This game counted towards their regular season win total. It did last year as well.
No it wasn't and no it didn't last year either. West is a nice football team, their QB is by far their best player, very athletic. I believe most said that they returned a lot of Seniors this season. We returned 18 starters from last season, not technically a rebuilding year to those that are trying to get under West's fans skin. We did however play the worst quarter of football I've seen the last 3 years though, horrible tackling, no communication, not lined up right, etc. After the first quarter we settled down for the remainder of the game but still have a lot to fix on both sides of the ball. Having about 45 minutes to get dressed, rushed warmups, etc. could have been it but we need to be mentally tougher and be able to hit the ground running once we step on the field. It seems like we have bought too much into hype of being #1/#2 in 4A which will change this week in practice. Between our scrimmage against Cabell Midland, who will most likely win WV 3A this year, and West, I thought West brought a little more to the table than Midland. Best of luck to West this season.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

JCEagles wrote: No it wasn't and no it didn't last year either. West is a nice football team, their QB is by far their best player, very athletic. I believe most said that they returned a lot of Seniors this season. We returned 18 starters from last season, not technically a rebuilding year to those that are trying to get under West's fans skin. We did however play the worst quarter of football I've seen the last 3 years though, horrible tackling, no communication, not lined up right, etc. After the first quarter we settled down for the remainder of the game but still have a lot to fix on both sides of the ball. Having about 45 minutes to get dressed, rushed warmups, etc. could have been it but we need to be mentally tougher and be able to hit the ground running once we step on the field. It seems like we have bought too much into hype of being #1/#2 in 4A which will change this week in practice. Between our scrimmage against Cabell Midland, who will most likely win WV 3A this year, and West, I thought West brought a little more to the table than Midland. Best of luck to West this season.
Good luck to JC this year too.
West is a solid team. West has some experienced players but are inexperienced in key spots too. They will improve as the season goes on just like last year. Key to West will be health. We have very few juniors. A couple key injuries could really set this team back. Stay healthy and they'll have a chance to win every ballgame.

#15pigskinfan$$1
Waterboy

Post by #15pigskinfan$$1 »

Thanks Westfan. I agree, the LB group as a whole that West has is very stout at this point, really made it hard to run our bread and butter all night. #7 and #58 really stood out on D, #7 was the stud on O, kid has some wheels. We are much like you as we tend to get better as the season rolls along. We have 3 new guys on the O-Line we are trying to break in and we need to get it figured out in the next two weeks or Lexington Catholic is very capable of wiping the field with us. I do hope that we can continue this game going forward but not sure if we have anything binding for next year's scrimmage with someone else. These two games have been excellent learning tools which led us to success last year and hopefully this year as well. Last season had it not been for both teams electing to play the 4th quarter the game would've ended in a tie and this year was much of the same for a period of time. The physicality that West brought to the table was much greater this season than last and I think regardless of the score from Friday, West is in a much better position going forward. Again, best of luck to you all and I'll be following and rooting for you all to do big things.

Return to “Football”