Why are players leaving Gallipolis?

cghs82
JV Team

Re: Why are players leaving Gallipolis?

Post by cghs82 »

Looks like it, Kentucky needs to at least follow West Virginia's tournament procedure with 16 teams per class in the football playoffs and decrease the number of classes to 4 or 5 in football to get more teams for each district and maybe 4 or 5 in other sports rather than just 1 total. Maybe even introduce conferences rather than districts cause their system is terrible and it makes traveling tough on some districts. And to keep things somewhat on topic, hopefully Gallia Academy will start seeing success in the OVC when they join next year and that it will keep players there and maybe even bring new players to Gallia or bring some back.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

It is very simple as to why athletes are leaving Gallipolis. It boils down to two words: Parents and Politics. I say parents because they believe their child is a star or is going Division One. Trust me, if you are good enough to play at D-1, they will find you. Prime examples: Brigham Waginger and Nick Aldridge. They both played at South Webster, won a state championship and college coaches were salivating at the mouth just to talk to these athletes. Parents, (just not at Gallipolis) think because their child plays AAU, scores a few baskets or scores a few touchdowns is a stud. In reality, they are not that good. Most athletes at schools in this area are solid players, should know their role and accept team unity over individual accolades. Then, the parents think that their child is God's gift to athletics based off of a few decent games. Just ask them. Their child got a ribbon for participating in biddy league basketball or football and they're automatically going to Ohio State or Michigan State for success. In reality, they should focus on academics and athletics should be a by-standard of which their success is strewn from. Parents, not all of course, firmly believe their child is the "sh*t" because they do well. If they honestly do well, the followers or coaches will follow them. It is that simple. If they get to that level, being D-1, coaches want zero contact from the parents. Athletes, especially at the high school level really need to learn to get off their mom's tit and become a woman or man. They are coddled too much and when reality and adversity hits, they b*tch and moan and then the parent blames the coaching staff or athletic department for their child's "mental anguish." BS. Their child does NOT have the gonads to deal with reality or adversity so they go back right to the nip. This is where the politics come in, which is a by-standard due to these parents constantly nipping at their ears about how atrocious the coach is. The parent cannot deal with their child actually getting structure or discipline from an outside source. The politics of it happens because of the parents. If the parents would slow their role, let the coach actually coach, then an observer could get an honest assessment of how well the child/athlete deals with adversity and overcoming the painstaking task of accomplishment without the participation ribbon. Jottings, the school districts you mentioned where these athletes moved probably are not going for greener pastures. The Point Pleasant kid is injury prone and might get lucky and make it through the season, injury free. The athletes who went to South Gallia were detrimental to their success. South Gallia was 9-3 before the one athlete was inserted into the lineup. After he was inserted into the lineup had a losing record. So, Gallia Academy did not lose out on anything except height, which may not be replaceable. However, the bantering and negativity from the parental front from that athlete can go. Many probably welcomed their leave. The athlete who went to St. Joe is stuck at St. Joe. The parents of that individual THOUGHT he was Huntington Prep material based off of his height. Trust me, if he does end up at Prep, even for a year, he will ride the bench, unless Prep is up by 50 against somebody. That is the only time he will see the floor. St. Joe may win a state championship with him; however, it will be at the single A level in West Virginia with little to zero fanfare. The athlete who went to Oak Hill quit during his Junior year due to disagreement with the coach who has the 5th most all time wins in the state of Ohio. Quit because of him not "getting his." I assure you, you will get "yours" for that coach if you can play. He lacked discipline, mental toughness and heart. Last I heard, he was a cashier at Wal-Mart in Jackson. I guess that was such a HUGE loss for Gallia Academy. For the athlete at Fairland, it is not his fault. His parents were the same way. However, word on the street is Fairland boy's and girl's basketball is next, just like their football team. This kid will either get caught up in that or leave. When you recruit athletes from other school districts, that tends to get you in trouble. That is just my two cents on the subject, Jottings. It is the parents and politics, not the coaches or kids. The kids want to win. However, the parents want it on their terms with their athlete being the catalyst. Any sport which involves unity and togetherness, does not need a selfish parent dictating.

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

Great post Vorhees. One of the best I've ever seen on here. I don't know all of the details that have happened but from what I've heard it sounds like you nailed it.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

He absolutely, positively, nailed it!

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Absolutely Nailed it!! But it continues to get worse. Too many parents only want to be "Best Friends" with their kids and really don't hold them accountable for anything. so this sense of entitlement continues to worsen!! Hopefully the parents with a little sense will stand up to this dumb Arses and let them know their actions are unacceptable.

gobigblue12
Freshman Team

Post by gobigblue12 »

ive tryed to stay out of this since son on team you mr Jason you are so right. sad that some parents have unreasonable admirations for their children and think the school and the coach is the problem. You said it all.

that being said, coaches are hired for a reason, and sometimes hard to understand what they do but have to believe in it. And you look around at some schools and their coaches and the time and effort they put in, and then see ours, you just wish you had the same here. Not everything is equal. But that's how life is to.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Jason Vorhees wrote:It is very simple as to why athletes are leaving Gallipolis. It boils down to two words: Parents and Politics. I say parents because they believe their child is a star or is going Division One. Trust me, if you are good enough to play at D-1, they will find you. Prime examples: Brigham Waginger and Nick Aldridge. They both played at South Webster, won a state championship and college coaches were salivating at the mouth just to talk to these athletes. Parents, (just not at Gallipolis) think because their child plays AAU, scores a few baskets or scores a few touchdowns is a stud. In reality, they are not that good. Most athletes at schools in this area are solid players, should know their role and accept team unity over individual accolades. Then, the parents think that their child is God's gift to athletics based off of a few decent games. Just ask them. Their child got a ribbon for participating in biddy league basketball or football and they're automatically going to Ohio State or Michigan State for success. In reality, they should focus on academics and athletics should be a by-standard of which their success is strewn from. Parents, not all of course, firmly believe their child is the "sh*t" because they do well. If they honestly do well, the followers or coaches will follow them. It is that simple. If they get to that level, being D-1, coaches want zero contact from the parents. Athletes, especially at the high school level really need to learn to get off their mom's tit and become a woman or man. They are coddled too much and when reality and adversity hits, they b*tch and moan and then the parent blames the coaching staff or athletic department for their child's "mental anguish." BS. Their child does NOT have the gonads to deal with reality or adversity so they go back right to the nip. This is where the politics come in, which is a by-standard due to these parents constantly nipping at their ears about how atrocious the coach is. The parent cannot deal with their child actually getting structure or discipline from an outside source. The politics of it happens because of the parents. If the parents would slow their role, let the coach actually coach, then an observer could get an honest assessment of how well the child/athlete deals with adversity and overcoming the painstaking task of accomplishment without the participation ribbon. Jottings, the school districts you mentioned where these athletes moved probably are not going for greener pastures. The Point Pleasant kid is injury prone and might get lucky and make it through the season, injury free. The athletes who went to South Gallia were detrimental to their success. South Gallia was 9-3 before the one athlete was inserted into the lineup. After he was inserted into the lineup had a losing record. So, Gallia Academy did not lose out on anything except height, which may not be replaceable. However, the bantering and negativity from the parental front from that athlete can go. Many probably welcomed their leave. The athlete who went to St. Joe is stuck at St. Joe. The parents of that individual THOUGHT he was Huntington Prep material based off of his height. Trust me, if he does end up at Prep, even for a year, he will ride the bench, unless Prep is up by 50 against somebody. That is the only time he will see the floor. St. Joe may win a state championship with him; however, it will be at the single A level in West Virginia with little to zero fanfare. The athlete who went to Oak Hill quit during his Junior year due to disagreement with the coach who has the 5th most all time wins in the state of Ohio. Quit because of him not "getting his." I assure you, you will get "yours" for that coach if you can play. He lacked discipline, mental toughness and heart. Last I heard, he was a cashier at Wal-Mart in Jackson. I guess that was such a HUGE loss for Gallia Academy. For the athlete at Fairland, it is not his fault. His parents were the same way. However, word on the street is Fairland boy's and girl's basketball is next, just like their football team. This kid will either get caught up in that or leave. When you recruit athletes from other school districts, that tends to get you in trouble. That is just my two cents on the subject, Jottings. It is the parents and politics, not the coaches or kids. The kids want to win. However, the parents want it on their terms with their athlete being the catalyst. Any sport which involves unity and togetherness, does not need a selfish parent dictating.

I agree with prep one of the better posts I've ever seen on seops. I got to experience this as a youth football coach in the rock hill district for years. though the district is filled with great people. it got overwhelming at times.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I only disagree with a couple of things on here. One is that a lot of times it is not the parent. Thinking their great and wanting to make the move. Sometimes it is just the kid and the parents let them go where they want. Even though the parent may want them to stay where they are at. I see this all the time even in kids that are not athletes. my daughter who will be a senior this year. has a friend whose parents have lived in same house since we've known them. their daughter has attended Washington elementary, green elementary, gallia academy middle school, river valley middle school, south gallia, buckeye hills, and now is back at gallia academy. it is crazy. so it is not all politics, but not always great parenting.

The second thing is i would not judge how many hours any of our coaches put in at what they do. I mean unless your a member of one of the staffs i would not judge them. Do they spend as much time as some other schools, i do not know. Do they spend a lot of time year round working on things i know they do. when i see coaches meeting to plan things as early as 6 or 7 am and then doing voluntary summer work outs with the boys at like 10 am and then see them back at like 4 or 5 o'clock in evening and cars still being on lot and work being done well after 11 o'clock. I would not judge how much time they spend. is that time spent efficiently maybe not. is it spent doing the right things maybe not. When i have coaches 6 months months before there fund raisers contacting me for support or donations i will not doubt their efforts. Are they the right coaches, do i question philosophy or play calling, practice scheduling and all you bet. That is all fair game those are things we can see. I don't see how anyone would know how much time they spend on their craft. especially since a lot of that work can be done at home. such as film study, game planning and stuff as staff works and family visits. Just not something i would want to judge.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

I would agree kvnchambers about what you said about the time. It isn't always about the time put in but how much you do with the time you put in. However, if a coach is at a school and teaching, and here is there before school (5-6 A.M.) and doesn't leave until 10 or 11 P.M., he/she must be very dedicated to the sport in which they are engaged in as a coach. Also, a lot of coaches put in time away from a lot of school districts today, as well. In the day and age of online scouting, time put in making game plans, roster changes and adjustments (which happens in every sport), there is most certainly time put in behind closed doors, too. It is not all parents, as aforementioned; however, this is a select group of parents whose words and actions trumps those who sit back quietly and see their actions. The people who know what is right for the respective sport need to stand in unison and help the school district and coaching by telling those parents to back off and let the players play and let coaches coach. If there was more coaching and player development into a system, then you could gauge the coach on how well they are performing. Plus, I firmly believe coaches need more time to build something. 1, 2 or 3 years may not be enough time. I think 4 years is a good time span for a coach and his staff. If a coach cannot accomplish something in four years (one whole class from freshman to seniors) then they probably need reevaluated as to whether they need to continue to be a part of coaching. Sometimes, that coach isn't always in the right position, either. Just look at Luke Fickle at Ohio State. Hardly a good head coach; however, a great assistant coach. Sometimes it is about having the right coaches in the right position. The good parents who know what is right need to be more verbal when these "idiots" happen to be around. It takes a community effort for ant team sport to become successful. You cannot bring a good coach into a bad position with some bad parents and not expect some struggles to occur. It is everybodt working together. I know a lot of people harp on some of these from Ironton. I will tell you this though, they are all on the same page about continuing success at Ironton for football. That is why they will continue to be good for years to come, possibly even decades. Their community cares about not just winning but also producing good young men to become productive citizens in society.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

i agree with all of what you said

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Pretty funny old people always blame it on the kids and the parents. It has to do with the coaches and administration. The real problem at schools is the good ole boy system to pad their retirement. That stopped at Athens football and Athens went from a terrible team to one of the best programs in SEO. Gallia will find a dedicated coaching staff and will be a playoff team again. High school sports, if u have a decent AD and coaching staff, u will always be a decent team

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

I agree with RAIDER6309. Every school has those kind of parents!!! It's all about the coaches and administration. Gallia was going in the right direction and then Eddy left. The wheels feel off.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Actually, it has everything to do with parents and their children/athlete. If you have parents who think their child is better than they actually are. Just ask Logan about it. A man who dedicated 30 years of his life to a school district and their athletics gone, on the spot, no questions asked because of a few, selfish parents. Athens was successful because they had 4 D-1 athletes in the same class. Ray Charles could win with that talent.

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Post by jiveturkey »

You all are making some good points and the truth lies within what you have written. Coaches, administrators, parents, and athletes all have a role in any give sports program. Here is how it probably should go (and sadly in most schools never does):

Coaches - Oversee and build the program. Teach skills. Adapt strategy that best fits the team.

Adminstrators - Take at least the minimal amount of times required to fill coaching positions with people who care about kids and who are hard workers. This should ideally be teachers but could be a member of the community.

Athletes - Follow the instruction of the coaches. Love the game. Work hard, Play harder!

Parents - support your child and the team with your attendance and cooperation, Make sure the team has what it needs through fundraising. I would recommend fundraising over flat donations as sometimes donations give the appearance of trying to curry favor with the coaching staff. Notice here that I haven't mentioned any need for parents to have an opinion about playing time, strategy, etc.

A big problem I see at GA is the biddy league as ran by the ELKS. It currently has placed its influence above that of the head coach. Granted, GA has seen lots of change lately. But their program should first live by what the varsity program plans to do. Right now, They think they know best and there isn't much cooperation between that program and the varsity. Someone will probably have their toes stepped on a bit when they read this. Sometimes the truth hurts and I guess what the question should be is how bad does everyone want a good program. If everyone understood their role and carried it out, I bet the revolving door on the coaches office would vanish. Dissension and dysfunction is why GA kids are leaving for Point, Meigs, and South Gallia, and RV. These factors have opened the door for coaches to successfully recruit our kids to these other programs.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

jiveturkey wrote:You all are making some good points and the truth lies within what you have written. Coaches, administrators, parents, and athletes all have a role in any give sports program. Here is how it probably should go (and sadly in most schools never does):

Coaches - Oversee and build the program. Teach skills. Adapt strategy that best fits the team.

Adminstrators - Take at least the minimal amount of times required to fill coaching positions with people who care about kids and who are hard workers. This should ideally be teachers but could be a member of the community.

Athletes - Follow the instruction of the coaches. Love the game. Work hard, Play harder!

Parents - support your child and the team with your attendance and cooperation, Make sure the team has what it needs through fundraising. I would recommend fundraising over flat donations as sometimes donations give the appearance of trying to curry favor with the coaching staff. Notice here that I haven't mentioned any need for parents to have an opinion about playing time, strategy, etc.

A big problem I see at GA is the biddy league as ran by the ELKS. It currently has placed its influence above that of the head coach. Granted, GA has seen lots of change lately. But their program should first live by what the varsity program plans to do. Right now, They think they know best and there isn't much cooperation between that program and the varsity. Someone will probably have their toes stepped on a bit when they read this. Sometimes the truth hurts and I guess what the question should be is how bad does everyone want a good program. If everyone understood their role and carried it out, I bet the revolving door on the coaches office would vanish. Dissension and dysfunction is why GA kids are leaving for Point, Meigs, and South Gallia, and RV. These factors have opened the door for coaches to successfully recruit our kids to these other programs.
Having the youth program running the same system as the high school won't make a difference. By the time those kids get to high school the coaching staff has probably been turned over lol

You want to teach the basics at the youth level, blocking, tackling, basic fundamentals of the game.

Gallia has been through a few coaches the last several years, you can't seriously expect kids in 2nd through 6th grade to keep changing based on who the new coach is, heck imagine how hard that is just for the youth coaches while trying to teach fundamentals and oh by the way, time to change offensive and defensive styles AGAIN.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I think the biddy league comments are true. i don't know much about how the biddy league is ran now. But i know it has changed a lot. I remember signing up. by cutting the application out of paper and mailed it in. And as far as i know the coaches had basically know idea who they were getting on their teams as first year players until you showed up. When i played they're weren't very many parents coaching. I played for bob Evans and i think each of my 3 coaches had been coaching the same team for 5 to 10 years. and that was true of most of the teams. Now from what i have scene because i walk the track a lot. think some coaches meet for first time at first practice or they have one coach and recruit parents. i could be wrong but it is how it seems.

Sometimes though as far as athletes go. i think gallia still misses a few of those athletes that now play soccer that some would of played football before and would of been a lot of the speed we sometimes are missing now.

Rutterkickballer
Freshman Team

Post by Rutterkickballer »

We have been trying to use kickball to tear down the football empire at Trimble for a few years now but it hasn't worked so far. Not putting new turf in the ole pickle building has slowed us down a little.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

I say Coach Riffe is setting a great example. He truly puts the Lord first and foremost above football and these boys see that. I want my kid to play for someone like that.

6&10
Waterboy

Post by 6&10 »

Jason Vorhees wrote:It is very simple as to why athletes are leaving Gallipolis. It boils down to two words: Parents and Politics. I say parents because they believe their child is a star or is going Division One. Trust me, if you are good enough to play at D-1, they will find you. Prime examples: Brigham Waginger and Nick Aldridge. They both played at South Webster, won a state championship and college coaches were salivating at the mouth just to talk to these athletes. Parents, (just not at Gallipolis) think because their child plays AAU, scores a few baskets or scores a few touchdowns is a stud. In reality, they are not that good. Most athletes at schools in this area are solid players, should know their role and accept team unity over individual accolades. Then, the parents think that their child is God's gift to athletics based off of a few decent games. Just ask them. Their child got a ribbon for participating in biddy league basketball or football and they're automatically going to Ohio State or Michigan State for success. In reality, they should focus on academics and athletics should be a by-standard of which their success is strewn from. Parents, not all of course, firmly believe their child is the "sh*t" because they do well. If they honestly do well, the followers or coaches will follow them. It is that simple. If they get to that level, being D-1, coaches want zero contact from the parents. Athletes, especially at the high school level really need to learn to get off their mom's tit and become a woman or man. They are coddled too much and when reality and adversity hits, they b*tch and moan and then the parent blames the coaching staff or athletic department for their child's "mental anguish." BS. Their child does NOT have the gonads to deal with reality or adversity so they go back right to the nip. This is where the politics come in, which is a by-standard due to these parents constantly nipping at their ears about how atrocious the coach is. The parent cannot deal with their child actually getting structure or discipline from an outside source. The politics of it happens because of the parents. If the parents would slow their role, let the coach actually coach, then an observer could get an honest assessment of how well the child/athlete deals with adversity and overcoming the painstaking task of accomplishment without the participation ribbon. Jottings, the school districts you mentioned where these athletes moved probably are not going for greener pastures. The Point Pleasant kid is injury prone and might get lucky and make it through the season, injury free. The athletes who went to South Gallia were detrimental to their success. South Gallia was 9-3 before the one athlete was inserted into the lineup. After he was inserted into the lineup had a losing record. So, Gallia Academy did not lose out on anything except height, which may not be replaceable. However, the bantering and negativity from the parental front from that athlete can go. Many probably welcomed their leave. The athlete who went to St. Joe is stuck at St. Joe. The parents of that individual THOUGHT he was Huntington Prep material based off of his height. Trust me, if he does end up at Prep, even for a year, he will ride the bench, unless Prep is up by 50 against somebody. That is the only time he will see the floor. St. Joe may win a state championship with him; however, it will be at the single A level in West Virginia with little to zero fanfare. The athlete who went to Oak Hill quit during his Junior year due to disagreement with the coach who has the 5th most all time wins in the state of Ohio. Quit because of him not "getting his." I assure you, you will get "yours" for that coach if you can play. He lacked discipline, mental toughness and heart. Last I heard, he was a cashier at Wal-Mart in Jackson. I guess that was such a HUGE loss for Gallia Academy. For the athlete at Fairland, it is not his fault. His parents were the same way. However, word on the street is Fairland boy's and girl's basketball is next, just like their football team. This kid will either get caught up in that or leave. When you recruit athletes from other school districts, that tends to get you in trouble. That is just my two cents on the subject, Jottings. It is the parents and politics, not the coaches or kids. The kids want to win. However, the parents want it on their terms with their athlete being the catalyst. Any sport which involves unity and togetherness, does not need a selfish parent dictating.

Best reasoning I have ever heard and 100% true!

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I think blue devils could of gained more from transfers then they lost this year, we will see.

Return to “Football”