BESIDES TURF, WHAT'S NEXT FOR THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS

LITTLE TIGER
Waterboy

Re: BESIDES TURF, WHAT'S NEXT FOR THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGER

Post by LITTLE TIGER »

tigercannon71 wrote:We passed the ball this year. Howd that work out for uys? Oh yea, not very good. Ironton needs to get back to being a running team. We got the backs to run. Run the ball set up a pass. We didnt have an identity on offense this year. One series you came out T, next series shotgun, and next we ran 1 T and 2 shotgun and 1 punt. There was no way to get mometum going when you keep switching out what you are doing.
Really no matter what we do on offense or defense we wont win unless a few things change. Its not coaching, its not play calling, but attitudes. The attitudes are of the players. Its one thing to hit the weightroom and work hard, but that work ethic hard nosed attitude must carry over into the games. We have had huge guys on the line the past few years, but they have been soft. I dont care if you squat 500lbs or bench 500lbs if you play like a guy who cant lift the bar. Our line play has been our biggest weakness the past few years. We need players that have a mean nasty surly attitude when they hit the field, not a good guy greg. Yea, because of declining jobs and things in our area the talent pool hasnt been as deep as previous decades, but if you work hard and give 100% and bust your butt on the field you can level the playing field and still win games over a more talented team.
i agree 110% Ironton always was a power football team, to do that we need big, strong lineman with a nasty side to them & lots of hustle, block to the whistle & then some

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

agree with most except play calling was worst in history, numerous 3rd and 5+ yd run plays being called, only used 2 players over 70% time and there is 6 ball handling players out there!! and if a defense knows I am only using 2 players then I am doomed!!!!!!!! cox took a beating out there and survived ,raceland game they was all over him when he touched the ball multiple defenders!!

I think the 2013 was 75% run to 25% pass I would have to go back and check!! but you gotta keep that defense off balance with 60% run to 40% pass and use all 6 ball handlers!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

tigercannon71 wrote:We passed the ball this year. Howd that work out for uys? Oh yea, not very good. Ironton needs to get back to being a running team. We got the backs to run. Run the ball set up a pass. We didnt have an identity on offense this year. One series you came out T, next series shotgun, and next we ran 1 T and 2 shotgun and 1 punt. There was no way to get mometum going when you keep switching out what you are doing.
Really no matter what we do on offense or defense we wont win unless a few things change. Its not coaching, its not play calling, but attitudes. The attitudes are of the players. Its one thing to hit the weightroom and work hard, but that work ethic hard nosed attitude must carry over into the games. We have had huge guys on the line the past few years, but they have been soft. I dont care if you squat 500lbs or bench 500lbs if you play like a guy who cant lift the bar. Our line play has been our biggest weakness the past few years. We need players that have a mean nasty surly attitude when they hit the field, not a good guy greg. Yea, because of declining jobs and things in our area the talent pool hasnt been as deep as previous decades, but if you work hard and give 100% and bust your butt on the field you can level the playing field and still win games over a more talented team.
that's truly one of the best posts I ever read.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

cg-ironton fan wrote:I think the 2013 was 75% run to 25% pass I would have to go back and check!! but you gotta keep that defense off balance with 60% run to 40% pass and use all 6 ball handlers!!
According to elitetristatesports.com it was 300 rushing/118 pass plays.....that is 72%/28%. You were close with your estimate.

2012 was 80/20 in favor of running

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Athens in week 6 is not a done deal. We have expressed interest in playing at The Tank next season and would really like to get the game done but I have been told that Ironton would rather find a different option if possible and is even considering an open week on the schedule. As a fan I hope this game gets done, I've never been to Ironton for a football game but would definitely make the trip for this one!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I'd surely like to see this get done. it's not like the fighting tigers to not wanna play. we've played much bigger teams in the past for many years at a time. Athens has a great program going right now. I'd love to see this get to happen. and a dog , you'd love the trip to ironton, it's an awesome venue.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I don't know about the trip Bait but, I'm sure that I would enjoy the game and atmosphere.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:Athens in week 6 is not a done deal. We have expressed interest in playing at The Tank next season and would really like to get the game done but I have been told that Ironton would rather find a different option if possible and is even considering an open week on the schedule. As a fan I hope this game gets done, I've never been to Ironton for a football game but would definitely make the trip for this one!
Would be very surprised if Ironton is dodging this game, especially considering we are hosting Athens in basketball on Saturday.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I should have chosen my words better. I don't mean to imply dodging, I just heard that Ironton was still looking at different options that they think may be a better fit for them. Also venue may be a question, if Athens were to play at Ironton week 6 they would be playing 4 of the last 5 on the road with the only exception being week 8 with Vinton County.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I remember years when we played Columbus desales repeatedly at desales, because they could not get home games.yeah, you right ADOG, I agree on the trip esp. if you go 93, but we've traveled it for years. but tiger alley is awesome, the stadium is named after the old ironton tanks, which were a pro team. we have a covered homeside, new scoreboard, will have turf next year. built all brand new schools. we have a historical marker there remembering tanks memorial stadium.actually I didn't know if you knew this or not , the Portsmouth Spartans had a pro team 30 miles down the river too. the tanks and Spartans merged together and formed what is now the Detroit lions.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

actually the first nfl night game was played with lights in Portsmouth Spartan stadium.
and the ironton tanks have played the Chicago bears and the ny giants.
but Portsmouth/ironton were bitter rivals.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I was aware bait. I actually have a poster from the NFL 75th anniversary that features old teams from Portsmouth, Ironton, Canton and the like.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that's cool. you got an extra hit me up.lookin forward to watchin another game with ya sometime.
hit me up on facebook tom Osborne 53 waverly, ohio

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

what other improvements would fighting tigers fans like to see at tanks memorial stadium, or with fighting tigers football. hey it's a new era. I'd personally finally like to see a tiger, or a paw , or a block I on the helmets.maybe some stripes on the pants similar to the bengals pants.and some play second clocks on each end. love the new scoreboard and facelift there, excited about new turf.love the entrance ramps on home side. they should reopen the mens room underneath the reserved seat on the end closest to the band stand.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

No keep the uniforms the way they are classic looks the best. Play clocks would be cool to have. Even cooler would be a tank near the field shout out to our history. Like an old Sherman tank.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that would be awesome a tank parked outside in the grass , just past the scoreboard, now that's an idea I dig cannon.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Is there going to be a Tiger in the middle of the turf or just an "I"?

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

4th n Goal wrote:Is there going to be a Tiger in the middle of the turf or just an "I"?
hopefully a tiger -it would look better!!!

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

When Ironton played DeSales they was competitive that is why they played it helped the team.
Athens is loaded this year Ironton still has to find them self's not saying Ironton could not compete or even win but Athens is a loaded bear and should be looking at state.
The schedule is tough already with who they have but last year showed injuries can kill your season and Ironton had many on a young team.
Athens right now is on a whole different level right now as far as Ironton going back to the run game I agree to a point.
But Ironton is not bigger than everyone else or quicker.
A good passing game will open up the running game and I believe this maybe the year it happens but the key is keeping everyone healthy.
Yeah I would love to see Ironton play Athens but like I said this should be Athens year and Ironton may not be ready for that.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

baptism by fire 66, we gotta be ready to roll and be a tough nut.

Return to “Football”