southern ohio football

sports87
Riding the Bench

southern ohio football

Post by sports87 »

take your area football players in the division they play in and but a team together and let's see how you think they would do against the private schools in the same division. just for fun to see what everybody thinks

The General
All State

Re: southern ohio football

Post by The General »

I am probably a little slow Allen.... May not understand what you mean. But Athens just kicked CSFD ass all by their lonesome.

DIDO
Freshman Team

Post by DIDO »

ask tIce4, QB4, Uninya 4, or captain awesome, he will know

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

public vs private....the neverending debate

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Higher population areas in SEO such as Portsmouth and Ironton would go a lot further in playoffs except most of their talent levels and athlete bases are spliced up amongst too many school districts. Just imagine if Athens was divided into three or four different school districts like Chillicothe and Portsmouth are.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

formerfcfan wrote:Higher population areas in SEO such as Portsmouth and Ironton would go a lot further in playoffs except most of their talent levels and athlete bases are spliced up amongst too many school districts. Just imagine if Athens was divided into three or four different school districts like Chillicothe and Portsmouth are.
But.........

They are one of 5 school districts in Athens county. Also, they are a D3 school but they are on the bottom sideof D3.

Also, Chillicothe is bigger than Athens.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Orange and Brown wrote:
formerfcfan wrote:Higher population areas in SEO such as Portsmouth and Ironton would go a lot further in playoffs except most of their talent levels and athlete bases are spliced up amongst too many school districts. Just imagine if Athens was divided into three or four different school districts like Chillicothe and Portsmouth are.
But.........

They are one of 5 school districts in Athens county. Also, they are a D3 school but they are on the bottom sideof D3.
Right. The Five school districts in my amateur opinion is perfect for a county such as Athens Co. On the surface, I can't see why the public high school of a city such as Portsmouth (a city w/ 20k residents) is the size of village schools near Columbus and moreover how their football program is one of the worst in their county despite being attributed to the largest municipality by far. I mean, theory would suggest that the school for Valley Township w/ ~3.5k residents would not be able to compete with the school from Portsmouth. But alas, this isn't the case. I know Clay High School isn't that big, but unless I'm wrong here it's yet another tax-payer funded school pulling from the larger municipality. Now imagine for a second if Clay were to consolidate w/ PHS. That minimizes the dilution of the student-athlete pool in Portsmouth. I also wonder why New Boston even has their own school system. I'm sure they're good folk, but I've driven through recently and I was taken aback by how many public school systems are operating in these villages that are in such proximity to not only each other but a larger city (and in most cases, the county-seat.) Lawrence County also befuddles me in this regard.

Forgive me if this is a case of an "outsider giving his two cents on how we've done and will probably continue to do things."

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The Plains would have dominated D6 the last three years if Athens wasn't part of it. Most of the Athens athletes live in The Plains old school district(Burrow, Williams, and the Twins)

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Palapudd wrote:^^^ Are you on drugs? The Plains would have cut-n-run like Athens did. Logan would never do that and may be playing in the MAC next year if the TVC is too scared to let them in. FOOL! I love Mr. T and giggle like a school girl when I watch the A-Team and he calls someone a fool :lol: .

Yea, The Plains always was scared of Star Washington weren't they? :mrgreen:

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

RAIDER6309 wrote:
The Plains would have dominated D6 the last three years if Athens wasn't part of it. Most of the Athens athletes live in The Plains old school district(Burrow, Williams, and the Twins)
Really think they could have dominated playing the MAC schools, what in the he-- are you drinking. They dominate the DIV 5, 6 and 7. God help us if they get a school in Div 4.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

RAIDER6309 wrote:
The twins don't live in in the old Plains school district.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

formerfcfan wrote:They are one of 5 school districts in Athens county. Also, they are a D3 school but they are on the bottom sideof D3.
Right. The Five school districts in my amateur opinion is perfect for a county such as Athens Co. On the surface, I can't see why the public high school of a city such as Portsmouth (a city w/ 20k residents) is the size of village schools near Columbus and moreover how their football program is one of the worst in their county despite being attributed to the largest municipality by far. I mean, theory would suggest that the school for Valley Township w/ ~3.5k residents would not be able to compete with the school from Portsmouth. But alas, this isn't the case. I know Clay High School isn't that big, but unless I'm wrong here it's yet another tax-payer funded school pulling from the larger municipality. Now imagine for a second if Clay were to consolidate w/ PHS. That minimizes the dilution of the student-athlete pool in Portsmouth. I also wonder why New Boston even has their own school system. I'm sure they're good folk, but I've driven through recently and I was taken aback by how many public school systems are operating in these villages that are in such proximity to not only each other but a larger city (and in most cases, the county-seat.) Lawrence County also befuddles me in this regard.

Forgive me if this is a case of an "outsider giving his two cents on how we've done and will probably continue to do things."
As far as the Valley/Portsmouth comparison, the biggest difference in why smaller districts are in some cases more competitive than larger districts really comes down to the youth programs. If you have a solid youth program that teaches good fundamentals at a young age, it will translate to high school success at some point. Poorly ran youth programs who have more 'daddy ball' than truly teaching fundamentals will not reap the same results. A good example of this is also the Wheelersburg little league baseball/softball, which usually has around 600 kids participating.

As far as the New Boston and Clay villages, there are some of us who are not outsiders who have the same thought.

Return to “Football”