Future of Southeastern Ohio football

The General
All State

Re: Future of Southeastern Ohio football

Post by The General »

Athens would have beaten Marion Local like a Red-headed stepchild :lol: ..

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:ironton was in that mix for decades----------but things have changed.
Lutz retired. Hartley was nothing for decades, and then hired a new coach who won a title in his second year with kids he didn't "recruit." It's a mix of elements, and coaching is one of the big ones.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

There's no big secret here...the future will look like the past, as far as consistent runs at state titles...It is what it is....Enjoy Friday nights and don't get caught up in all the craziness....

The incessant post by fans from has-been teams is telling and obnoxious to read...If all you have is what you had then give it a break until you have something not 20-30 years old...History doesn't equate to the here and now...Sorry to burst your bubble....

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

PIGSKIN wrote:Athens was a offensive machine like no other ever in the state Burrows was awesome and his recievers are absolutely great. They were not the fastest guys but they ran great routes and caught the ball with soft hands and used their size to their advantage. They competed right to the end but still couldn't win they were the best team SEO will produce and they barely got by just another year team from SVSM and lost to TCC. Privates schools with good programs are drawing kid with the pressure of scholarships and getting exposure will all but make it impossible rural publics to compete. When will the majority (Public schools) who make up 80+ percent of OHSAA step up and say seperate us. I just don't understand why most public schools stand for this when they may have a group of athletes that can make a run every 30 years get beat by all star team from a private school thats there every year or every other year. Tell the principal to vote them out and if he won't tell the board and if they won't vote them out.
Not taking anything away from Athens but saying they have the best offense in the state ever is a bit much. I would say Kentons offense with either of the Mauk boys at QB was better. But I do agree with what you are saying about public vs. private but im not sure that will change.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I love how a topic on the future of SE Ohio football devolved into a recount of the past. Here's an on-topic post. Has Logan ever talked to the MVL? I think the MSL makes a lot more sense but they don't appear to be interested and probably the MVL isn't an option but would it hurt to ask?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

dazed&confused wrote:I love how a topic on the future of SE Ohio football devolved into a recount of the past. Here's an on-topic post. Has Logan ever talked to the MVL? I think the MSL makes a lot more sense but they don't appear to be interested and probably the MVL isn't an option but would it hurt to ask?

Thier have been expansion rumors for a few years but as far as I know, no one has been approached.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The MVL isn't interested in Logan as most programs there have been declining in enrollment and most do not want to add another power program to the league with Tri-Valley and Sheridan already there.

As for SEO, little will change as the region as a whole sinks into oblivion with most afraid to play good competition and get better, which dooms the region as a whole.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Paladin wrote:The MVL isn't interested in Logan as most programs there have been declining in enrollment and most do not want to add another power program to the league with Tri-Valley and Sheridan already there.

As for SEO, little will change as the region as a whole sinks into oblivion with most afraid to play good competition and get better, which dooms the region as a whole.
Paladin, another member from VC has suggested this to solve Jackson, Logan and Warren's problem of finding a league. We both understand lol we usually don't agree a lot on some topics, but what are your thoughts on something similar to this? Do you think something like this could ever work, and if so would it create better competition and improve the area on a yearly basis?

TVC 1
Jackson
Logan
Gallia
Warren
Athens

All big. All shared a league before the long trips were added. All would have 6 non league slots to schedule crossover rivalries or non conference rivals.

TVC 2
VC
NY
RV
Wellston
Meigs

All close in proximity. Size. And in most sports would be very competitive.

TVC 3
Eastern
Southern
Wahama
SG
Alex

Longest trip is Alex to Sg. The rest are right along the river in Meigs/Gallia counties. Would be a competitive division.

TVC 4
Miller
Trimble
Fed
Belpre
Waterford

The most spread out of the smaller divisions and possibly the same competition wise, but all these teams are north and there are two east (Belpre/Waterford) and two west (Trimble/miller) connected in the middle by fed hock.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

First, don't see Athens coming back to the SEOAL ( your TVC 1). They are feasting on small schools and poor competition. They ran for a reason and a once in a lifetime team will not get them to do what is right. Second, its makes little sense to have small divisions in numbers. At least 6 teams and 8 is perfect for a league ( or a division). I don't see SEO changing much. Lots of bluster about being a powerhouse but afraid to play your own peolpe , much less better teams from outside the region. The joke continues to be on SEO.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Paladin wrote:The MVL isn't interested in Logan as most programs there have been declining in enrollment and most do not want to add another power program to the league with Tri-Valley and Sheridan already there.

No, the joke is you chubby old fella, who is a washed up old coach probably still wearing the jock strap he had on in his last high school game he played in. If you haven't noticed, TVC football had it's best year ever, and the last three have been some of the best. BTW, last time I checked Logan was not a "power program." If they are so great, why don't you get them in a league in NE Ohio. You keep saying that's the only way to build a power house. :lol:

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:Burg won it in 89. I would say in 3 year's Burg will make a huge push for the State finals. That class looks pretty solid and could have quite a few 3 year starters.
The key to success is the strength of the program. I think you guys are well positioned now. The coach is paramount to winning, and you have a really good one. He has a solid intellectual grasp of the game, and he has a proven ability to watch film and devise a plan for beating good teams.

The next most important thing is having the support of the entire community. I'm not talking about cheer moms with popcorn filled milk jugs, though they are awesome too. Players get pumped by noise and, with teenagers on the field, emotions are a bigger factor in outcomes than they theoretically ought to be. When you have a coach with a green light to succeed, then a lot of otherwise annoying obstacles are removed. Nothing wrecks a good program on the right track like outside interference and second guessing. If everyone, parents, administration, and players are encouraged to do four days of heavy duty strength and conditioning without hand wringers complaining that the coach is too demanding, then a team with the necessary physical requirements can take the field.

People hate when the privates say work harder, but we can't help it. We're used to repeating the mantra to ourselves, and we've found that it works. 99 times out of 100 when we say that the other guys didn't work as hard as us, we're right. This kind of ethic can't just be turned on at the end of the school day or for game nights. It must be imbued in everything you do on or off the field at all times. It has to be the culture of the school for everyone to demand excellence of himself and others, and, even when achieving it, believing that you can do better. And then going out and doing it.

Next is discipline. Honestly, even many successful privates are not good at this. Watch the Athens/TCC game again. Dogs had it. Irish lacked it nearly embarrassingly. They were lucky to muscle through. It's hard. It's a life skill. It can take many years of determination and effort to achieve a small bit of self mastery, but this attribute is critical in games for avoiding and recovering from mistakes. Mental, physical, emotional, psychological. You've got to have it together or you'll never perform at your peak potential.

Next is speed. Some people believe that you're either born with it or not. If the game consisted of dudes in track clothes and shoes sprinting down a track, then you're largely stuck with the talent that shows up. That's not football. Speed can be coached and practiced. You don't have to run fast to make your reads fast. A lot of foot races on the field are won by the guy with the better angle as much as the fleetest feet. If you've got a soccer coach who runs good SAQS drills, borrow him. Develop mental quickness by growing a good intellectual understanding of the game. Especially the captains or other leaders in the game. There's lots of ways to play faster without recruiting track stars.

I think you guys are in great shape for the future. Don't bet success strictly on raw talent. A gelled team can outperform any squad of allstars. You guys may have taken a small hit in talent in some of the skilled positions this year, but you made a giant leap in teamwork. Build on that and greater success might surprise you.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Great post Sapientia, all very valid points.The most successful programs are just that, PROGRAMS, it starts with community and works all the way down to the ball boys,its about finance from the community, a desire to be kids first in actions, and a desire to no matter if your son or daughter in on the field, your there with support.Its not about Friday night, its about 12 months a year each day, The great programs never take time off, they work all year.
Another aspect makes me sick to my stomach....recruiting...it happens and it conquers........South Eastern Ohio football is strong in some cases, but weak in most, I think it all falls to community, parenting and most importantly, careing.

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan2 »

Great post!

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

All of you SEO football bashers could always join Paladin in the mecca of high school football if you don't like what we are doing here. :idea:

dr3737
Waterboy

Post by dr3737 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:
Viking96 wrote:
Jolly P(irate) wrote:Burg won it in 89. I would say in 3 year's Burg will make a huge push for the State finals. That class looks pretty solid and could have quite a few 3 year starters.
Is that the current freshmen ?
Yes. They have some really good size and a few good skill players. The Junior High squad that will play with them are stout as well.
Yes you are right. They do have size and speed both the current freshmen did lose to West in the 7th (8-0) and 8th (22-0) so I wouldn't leave the West freshmen not......Well be some good football in they next couple yrs. Good luck to all :) :) :)

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

LetsGoPSU wrote:Great post Sapientia, all very valid points.The most successful programs are just that, PROGRAMS, it starts with community and works all the way down to the ball boys,its about finance from the community, a desire to be kids first in actions, and a desire to no matter if your son or daughter in on the field, your there with support.Its not about Friday night, its about 12 months a year each day, The great programs never take time off, they work all year.
Another aspect makes me sick to my stomach....recruiting...it happens and it conquers........South Eastern Ohio football is strong in some cases, but weak in most, I think it all falls to community, parenting and most importantly, careing.
We also need to improve our family and community ethics!

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

moonshine wrote:
LetsGoPSU wrote:Great post Sapientia, all very valid points.The most successful programs are just that, PROGRAMS, it starts with community and works all the way down to the ball boys,its about finance from the community, a desire to be kids first in actions, and a desire to no matter if your son or daughter in on the field, your there with support.Its not about Friday night, its about 12 months a year each day, The great programs never take time off, they work all year.
We also need to improve our family and community ethics!
That will help IMO.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Well when you look up Maria Stein-Marion Local, Coldwater, and Minster they are all in the same league. Maria Stine posted they have an enrollment of 89 boys and 87 of them played football. Coldwater has 169 Boys and have a roster of 100 boys. Minster is near the same. As This league (MAC) produced 3 state champions in 2014, they're mostly from Mercer county, and they have dominated small school football over the past decade. The biggest thing I notice is that they do not offer soccer as a fall sport. It's either you play football or you're in the band. It's a right of passage and a matter of family pride that you play football in that area of the state. Soccer has killed SEO football.

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

Keep in mind the enrollment figures on the OHSAA web site are only grades 9 through 11

"The enrollment figures below are based on the number of students in grades 9, 10 and 11 with athletic opportunities as of October 2012."

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Marion-Local, Coldwater and Minster are football factories,starting from date of birth up until graduation

Return to “Football”