A show of sportsmanship in the TVC ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

A show of sportsmanship in the TVC ...

Post by 93Bulldog »

This is not exactly football related - but I thought since its the beginning fo the week - a lot of football fans from our league might enjoy it.

SENT TO ME FROM A PARENT IN WELLSTON REGARDING AN ATHLETE FROM NELSONVILLE-YORK.

I wanted to tell you all about something that happened during the TVC Cross Country Meet that was held at the Wellston high School in Wellston, Ohio on Oct. 13, 2012l. My son Lucas an 8th grader at Wellston Middle School, ran the 2 mile course today as usual for the Jr High boys. Those of you who know him, well you know how difficult somethings are for him due to having mild Cerebral palsy. To finish this season was a feat and took a lot of dedication from him. Even though he didn't place at any meets, it didn't matter to him, he just wanted to do it and finish the whole course. Anyhow he had a bit of trouble on this particular day and he was really far behind and was the last runner in. A boy from Nelsonville-York, who had just finished in the front, went back to where Lucas was and ran alongside him for the remainder of the course, encouraging him and cheering him on. This was really impressive and showed great sportsmanship. But when Lucas tripped and fell just short of the finish line, and knocked his glasses off the other runner encouraged him to get up and finish and Lucas did just that. I was very impressed. But this young man didn't stop there, at the end of the Meet during the awards ceremony, he went up and got his TVC Medal and proceeded to give the medal to my son lucas for him to keep. This young man represented his school, Nelsonville York, in such a Positive way. Evidently, they had crossed paths at other meets, but they didn't know Lucas or all of the obstacles he has overcome. I did hunt the Nelsonville coach down afterwards to congratulate him and shake the hand of a man that had obviously coached such a winner, and not just just because he had just won the all important TVC meet, but for showing the great act of kindness and selflessness that he did. There is hope for the next generation and this young man displayed that. He is a true Role Model and I will be forever grateful for the confidence he instilled in my son with one random act of kindness. I will never forget this and neither will Lucas.I have recently found out the name of this boy, it was Colt Yinger from Nelsonville-York and his parents emailed me some pictures of them. This young man did this on his own will. I am so proud of them both.

Sincerely,
Shelley B. Norman
Mother of Lucas Norman - Wellston, Ohio

gridiron fan
Riding the Bench

Re: A show of sportsmanship in the TVC ...

Post by gridiron fan »

I'm not surprised by this young man's actions; good Buckeyes don't fall too far from it's tree and Colt is a one quality Buckeye, just like his Mom and Dad.

Keep up the good work Yingers!! You represent your community well.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The Yingers are wonderful people, Colt is a great kid and hearing about him doing this does not surprise me at all. What a great way to show sportsmanship and make a difference in someones life.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

That is an awesome story about two fine young men. Thank you for sharing.

Bulldog Mom
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog Mom »

Wow, what a wonderful story. I am so pleased that your son has this wonderful memory. I am not surprised by the actions of this fine young man, as he has excellent role models for parents. I suggest your letter be shared on the Wrestling page of this forum, as Colt's dad is the head wrestling coach at Nelsonville York and he and many of his colleagues would enjoy this story.

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

As Colt's dad thanks for the kind words. This is something Colt had wanted to do on his own. Lucas inspires Colt to work hard and do his best as Lucas always gives 100%. Colt wanted this to be a day for Lucas. I am glad that Colt has made this special for Lucas. However he didn't expect this kind of attention and he wanted me to post this, he wants Lucas to be noticed. Thank you much. Colt acctually was going to jog the race with Lucas and had asked the coach ahead of time but the coach asked Colt to run the race to win and then go back and run with him as you have before. I had know idea about that until after the race.
Last edited by tric118 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

TO SEE THE STORY WITH A FEW PHOTOS ...

http://trivalleyconference.com/Feature_Article.html

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

An awesome display of sportsmanship! Cross Country is a tough sport and anyone that takes part is a winner in my book. The dedication of running every day regardless of the weather, no timeouts or breaks, and very little fanfare outside of those in attendance. I must say out of all the sports i have witnessed that xc has the closest group of athletes. Its a mutual respect for one another. NY seems to have a fine young man in the making....

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

:aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41

Two thumbs up. Thanks for sharing the story.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

That was a honor. To read..colt great job young man..your story. Is something the Nelsonville community. Can be Very Proud of...thank you.

Lard76
Waterboy

Post by Lard76 »

What a great act of kindness and determination form these two young men.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Matt and Colt, this is something that reaches far beyond the realm of sports. In fact, it's the very quality we dads and coaches hope to be able to instill in all those we coach and raise up. I'm proud to know you.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

A wonderful, fantastic occurrence. Not a story, because it is true. To the Yingers, you are the type of parents that everyone should try and emulate, obviously, Colt has been raised with great values, a sense of compassion, and a clear understanding of what truly is important in life. It is instances like this that re-instill my faith in mankind.

For all the petty, selfish, bellyaching that a few people do on here, this more than makes up for it. If this situation doesn't stir your soul and cause you to reflect, well, that's sad. Read this again and then think about how you feel if you were Matt. Matt is a winner in life, as is Colt. Glass half empty or half full? I think we all know how these two young men view that picture.

Please, take a minute to reflect upon how these two young men bonded together in a competitive event and are now attached for life because of their positive attitudes. I think there is something for all of us to learn from these two young men.

Congratulations to both of these fine athletes and young men. You make me proud to call Southeast Ohio my home.

And last but not least, Bulldog, thanks for sharing. Good call!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hard not to tear up while reading that.

Good stuff.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

AWESOME!!!! Not just a display of sportsmanship, but humanity. Both sets of parents have got to be proud. This is what sport is about, making kids better people through everything that sport teachs us. This will be used as a learning tool in my home tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

I wish we had a "like" feature on here as this thread would be "thumbs up" all over the place!

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

Here is the article with pictures my wife took of them and sent to Lucas and his family. What a wonderfull inspiration Lucas is.
http://trivalleyconference.com/Feature_Article.html

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Definitly impressive boys ... both of them ... I'm glad Mrs. Norman took the time to send it to me this morning - and Leslie Yinger for sending me the photos.

THANKS!

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

A great boy from a great family. I wish more people who take time with children who are not so fortunate. It can teach everyone involved something new.

NYBucksDad
JV Team

Post by NYBucksDad »

Great job Colt and hats off to Lucas for showing everyone that anyone can do anything as long as they put their heart and sole into it!!!!!
Two great young men.

Return to “Football”