IRONTON vs WHEELERSBURG

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: IRONTON vs WHEELERSBURG

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

listen to me all member of the ironton fighting tigers, do not buy into any of this, play like your rear end is on fire. we need to sink the pirate ship. not let them talk us into not showing up.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Ironton IMO

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

first game of the year, both teams will come out respectful of the other because of tradition and nerves. Ironton will be so packed Friday aint no way in hell they would overlook this game. go tigers

keepinitreal
Waterboy

Post by keepinitreal »

I have to agree with BG 77. Wheelersburg is not only dressing but playing FRESHMAN. This is something that has never been done at the burg before. They are a bunch of great kids but we will sure take our lumps this year before starting to load back up in the years to come. Ironton 28-7

Leo Byrd
SEO

Post by Leo Byrd »

tigerfan98 wrote:first game of the year, both teams will come out respectful of the other because of tradition and nerves. Ironton will be so packed Friday aint no way in hell they would overlook this game. go tigers
gotta go with TF98 on his (or her) assessment of the game Friday.........

both teams will show up and leave it all on the field..no more and no less..... :!: :!:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

FballDad wrote: Wheelersburg is not only dressing but playing FRESHMAN. This is something that has never been done at the burg before.
With all due respect, perhaps not often, but it has been done before.

71tigeralum
Waterboy

Post by 71tigeralum »

QUOTE:
I have a friend who is a big Burg fan. Last year before injuries killed us, I thought West would win. Then Trevon, Compton, and others got hurt. Week of the burg game I mentioned Trevon and he told me no excuses.

I guess he talked to one of the coaches at the alumni flag game they had this year and they told him that they had very little talent in the upper classes. So he stops me like a month ago saying how down they were gonna be. I tell him no excuses.

Wheelersburg has been good for a long time and gave alot of whippings over the years, but the shoe may just be on the other foot for a couple years.

Sounds like he is just being honest with you. They don't have much talent and they probably aren't going to be very good. No excuses he is just telling you the truth.

UNQUOTE:

Sounds like Lou Holtz back at Notre Dame: O woe is me, we are playing NFL champs and all I got is the Little sisters of the Poor (sorry President Gee).

This is the opening of a new season, Tigers varsity will show up, not the freshman squad, Lutz don't take prisoners.

GO Tigers!!

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

71tigeralum wrote:
Sounds like Lou Holtz back at Notre Dame: O woe is me, we are playing NFL champs and all I got is the Little sisters of the Poor (sorry President Gee).

This is the opening of a new season, Tigers varsity will show up, not the freshman squad, Lutz don't take prisoners.

GO Tigers!!
What does this mean? I don't think West is Ironton's schedule this year are they ?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

BigOrangeOne wrote:
FballDad wrote: Wheelersburg is not only dressing but playing FRESHMAN. This is something that has never been done at the burg before.
When?

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Tigers will be running down hill most of the night I think. It is opener for both but the "Tank" is tough place to play and and be a spectator. Off and running.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

fbnut wrote:
BigOrangeOne wrote:
When?

Yeah, I'd like to know when as well. I have lived in Wheelersburg since 1971 and it has never happened in that time span that I can ever recall. No way Ed would have ever played a freshman. Hell, he had freshman for breakfast every morning in gym class.

It must have been before that.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

With all due respect folks, especially you young folks, BigOrange played for the Burg in the middle 50s.......like around 1956 so I am sure over the years he has seen a freshman or 2 on the playing field........due to his age he may have trouble remembering exactly when that happened but given a little time I am sure he will come up with data to substantiate his claim....... ;-)

Syntax
Riding the Bench

Post by Syntax »

I'm sure freshmen have played, but its been a while. Certainly pre-Miller. A better question is when was the last time a freshman suited up for a varsity game. Ironton allows one or two every now and then. I don't think one has suited up for the Burg since probably the early 80's, when I believe the freshman program began. With only 14 total seniors and juniors, some of the sophs will have to play and start. Not sure how many sophs are on the team, but if there around 12-15, that's only 26-29 players - barely enough to practice with.

Let's just hope this is a one-year thing - as this perfect storm of two small classes in a row probably indicates. The freshmen I watched play Chillicothe played outstanding against an equally good Chilli freshmen team. If any of the local teams want to get their punches in, now's the time. Next year will hopefully be back to business as usual.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I don't see any freshman on the 70's rosters.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

fbnut wrote:I don't see any freshman on the 70's rosters.
I was a freshman 71/72 Ed's first year. first freshman team we went 6-1 lost to South shore (Mckell) Doug Ruth was the coach

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

caglewis wrote:I intend to be sitting here at home in Ironton, listening to my radio, and posting an UPDATES game thread on here based on the descriptions I hear from the great announcers, J & K!
Unless, of course, Ironton Fighting Tigers games are no longer broadcast, my radio isn't working, or SEOPS moderators find my doing that objectionable.
Thanks for doing this for those of us that won't be able to make it to the game.

IronBurg_89
Waterboy

Post by IronBurg_89 »

First of all they are young!! second, they are not slow by know means? on defense the line backers are very quick and the secondary has a lot of speed, which nobody got to see saturday against jackson a few were not suited and showed on some pass plays down field they were missed? the DE's have decent speed again some suited some not! and it proved to be costly with out these men on the field overall. The burg is some what small in area's and average in other area's, size isn't everything it's the young men's hart that will decide the game by staying in the fight! or letting another team knock them around and out of the game. On offense they have more speed than they have had in several years the receiving core all have good hands, speed and very athletic, the backs are strong and fight for the extra yard, the line on both sides of the ball hold the keys to burg's success and those kids have been working hard the for several weeks they know what's at stake! and the second string kids are coming along they know they could be called on at any time, another kid that's not being talked about and should be is the only returning starter on offense and that is the senior QB alex shears a big strong kid very fast, can throw and extend plays with his feet very dangerous once he breaks the pocket and has done well in burg's scrimmages. on defense he hits very hard, from what I have read and it's been said before in other post's that this young man worked hard over the summer attending DI school combines and rival camps that he is now earned a ranking by Ohio Varsity / Rivals for his position QB, I look for him to be the X factor for the burg come friday.
I'm going to step out on a limb and say it before it happens if the pirates take one play at a time and stay patient, take what the tigers give them I think they will like the out come IMO... good luck to the pirates.

28Buck
Freshman Team

Post by 28Buck »

Im not sure if you are serious IronBurg....this is perhaps the worst the Burg has been in 20 years..

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

Are you saying this backfield is quicker than lang and shankweiler I don't believe it those kids were really good. Shears is good but he has big shoes to fill

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

28Buck wrote:Im not sure if you are serious IronBurg....this is perhaps the worst the Burg has been in 20 years..
I was thinking more like the last 40 hrs. Shears is very good and I think he is a very good ball player but I wouldn't describe him as very fast, at least not football fast. He will have to takeover games, like shank last yr for this team to have a chance to finish better than .500. A ( shank-valley) type effort in 4-5 games.

Return to “Football”