Should all Private schools be forced to at least be in D4?

wobycat
SEOPS

Should all Private schools be forced to at least be in D4?

Post by wobycat »

With Delphos St john and Ursluine programs, is it fair competition to those other schools in D5 or D6. I contend that it is not fair, but with open enrollment it has slowed down a little. With a big city, athletes through camps, I am sure are "recruited" to come and play for these schools. Ursuline competed with some top programs that no other D-5 public school could have.

pappy1
Varsity

Re: Should all Private schools be forced to at least be in D4?

Post by pappy1 »

No

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

To be the best...you gotta beat the best.

mother_nature
Waterboy

Post by mother_nature »

Bottom line, twist as you wish, its not a level playing field in regards to public vs private.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Do what the state of Tennessee did and apply a factor to the the private schools. If you have 100 kids and are a D VI school, then apply a factor of 1.5 or 1.75 to their enrollement and say they have 150 or 175 boys and force them to play up one or two divisions.

Evens the playing field, and really takes the "gaming" out of the enrollment equation.....

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

Do private schools when the State Championship in every division year after year? No..they don't. They are beatable. Like I said...to be the best..you want to beat the best. I don't know..I've just never seen the big deal with the whole private vs public..nothings going to come of it for one..and for two..they are just a football team like every other team.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

go chiefs, look at a playoff program, it blew my mind how many priate/catholic schools have won so many of thew state championships , at any , and every level. or division.not arguing , or whining, just take a look.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

It really get's bad...just talking to an old coach of mine today about the situation...in Kentucky...there are a couple of schools that recruit from all bordering states...and they have a team that can compete with the toughest Div 1 schools in the state...and they are Div 6...He said that they start in the 5th grade playing tourney ball...such as locally we have the travel teams in baseball...they have them in football in the Lexington and Louisville areas...They are actually scouted from that age up...and are asked to come to the private school and play ball...I was told of this..this year for one of Ironton's athletes, who happens to be in the 5th grade...was recruited by a Columbus school...his grandfather told them that they weren't interested, that Ironton has a good enough program...This kid got a new record at an Ohio State track meet earlier this year...he is completely raw...but one heck of a lot of talent....The point is...when it is private schools that are obviously recruiting...playing against most schools who are just the one town of that size of school...it is really not fair and something should be done about it...what...that is another tough question...

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Isn't recruiting, even by private schools, "technically" not legal? All of these new rules in the state were supposed to help stop the big power houses from recruiting, but really it has just hurt the small schools. Take Minford for example, a young kid plays 3 plays in the 4th quarter of a blow out win and due to some mis-communications and/or clerical errors, they had a win taken away. The laws that were supposed to level the playing field are just complicating things even further and with the limited staffs of smaller schools it's just a hardship not a help.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I've been hearing this same arguement for 50 yrs!! QUIT
Public school open enrollment rule changes helped, but nothing is ever going completely eliminate good athletes from seeking out schools with good athletic programs, or good musicians seeking out schools with any music program at all [good or not], or good students seeking out schools with AP courses. Oh right, it's only ever athletes that are "recruited" or for whom that is a "crime". Back when - schools were accused of getting/offering the fathers of talented athletes good jobs as an inducement to move there. What's the claimed inducement now?
Now, given the general economic situation and public schools in ever growing numbers finding their levies voted down and forced into cutting all variety of "extra" programs left and right, why is anyone surprised that parents find "private" schools the better choice for their kids? And of course outstandlingly talented kids in any area will probably get high school scholarship offers to tuition-charging private schools - and maybe athletes will always get more attention than musicians or accademics. BUT STILL - parents have the right to choose the best option for their children's education.
Last edited by caglewis on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

It would essentially be punishing those schools because students want to attend there (whatever their motivation may be). So, no.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

No.
I know that there is noway Newark Catholic could compete in D-4 especially since they are losing more atletes than they are getting.

Dbzshibainu
Varsity

Post by Dbzshibainu »

how about seperate divisions/state champions for public and private schools, like having public school div. I, II etc. and private school div. I, II etc.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

The playing field will never be level.... Make your programs better and stop complaining.... I really find it interesting that I-town is complaining.........LOL

coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

yes they should play up a div. or 2.

zbd
Freshman Team

Post by zbd »

I will say this I dont what the answer is but there needs to be something done look at Crove City Christain got a couple of Grove City kids and they win the region. I understand to be the best you have to beat the best, but really are the kids on the same level? Are the kids at Ridgewood the same kids that Youngstown U have?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I totally agree with superblue........programs just need to get better.......I know at Portsmouth we are striving to get better instead of complaining about how dominant private schools are.........it's never going to be a perfect system........and we have enough divisions as it is.......6 in football and 4 in basketball.

And caglewis is also right........parents today can choose wherever they want to send their child.......

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Tobias wrote:
newarkcatholicfan wrote:No.
I know that there is no way Newark Catholic could compete in D-4 especially since they are losing more atletes than they are getting.

:lol:

Make Portsmouth Notre Dame a D-4 with 44 boys from grades 9-12?

What a joke!

What about Marion Catholic who is as small if not smaller than P.N.D.

Some posters have no clue. :oops:

Panther85
Riding the Bench

Post by Panther85 »

And the only reason Grove City Christian got those athletes from Grove City was because their home school district failed to pass a levy and they had to cut programs. Besides they were 9-1 last year without them.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

superblue wrote:The playing field will never be level.... Make your programs better and stop complaining.... I really find it interesting that I-town is complaining.........LOL

lol :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”