DII Region #7

A-Town Big Dog
S

Re: DII Region #7

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

We got 'em my senior year in 96 bulldog. Game would have been in 95 though I guess, 96 senior class. I think if memory serves me correct that may have been our last win to date v/s Logan.
Last edited by A-Town Big Dog on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

HERE YA GO LOCOS ...

I just dug up some old newspaper articles ...

Title: 'Dogs slip by Logan, eye playoff berth

Athens 15
Logan 7

(AT THE HILLTOP IN LOGAN ... also known as Sauer Field)

The article was written by Tom Metters ... It says 'Athens spotted Logan a first quarter touchdown then shut the Chieftains down the rest of the way for a 15-7 victory. The win created the first ever four way tie for the SEOAL championship. (Oh yea, that win put ATHENS over the top in computer points as they qualified for the playoffs for the first time ever ... it was DIVISION 2, REGION 7!) ... Pretty ironic eh? First and only showing just happens to be the region we moved up to this year ...

Logans big guns that year ... BRYAN LAMBERT! BRYAN COX AND BILL COPLEY.

Box score:

Athens 0 7 0 8 - 15
Logan 7 0 0 0 - 7

Bob Bailey (AHS) 22 carries for 102 yds, 1 TD
Bryan Lambert (LHS) 12-64; Copley 21-48

Jesse Wheatley scored the other TD for Athens.

Bubba Lichtenberg 6-13-2-116
Nathan Dickerson 1-4-2-3 yds .... lol 3 yards???? two picks??? Wow, have things changed in Logan ... And yes, it was an Amyx led Chieftain team.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

sorry A-town ... I lived on court street for about three or four years after I graduated in 1993 ... lol ... don't remember much about that time frame ... plus, it wasn't cool for colege students to be hanging around high school athletic events back then ... so those teams with like Kaheem Maxwel or Jack Pepper, I have the slightest idea how good or bad they were ... I just know I use to pick on some of them when they were little pups at East Elementary ... :mrgreen:

A-town ... if you graduated in '96, then you would have played on the same team as me as a freshman

Im sure you probably want to forget it if you did in fact play, we were terrible! lol

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

No shame in that 93 lots of fuzzy court street memories in my past as well!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

93Bulldog wrote:HERE YA GO LOCOS ...

Athens 15
Logan 7

The article was written by Tom Metters ... It says 'Athens spotted Logan a first quarter touchdown then shut the Chieftains down the rest of the way for a 15-7 victory. The win created the first ever four way tie for the SEOAL championship. (Oh yea, that win put ATHENS over the top in computer points as they qualified for the playoffs for the first time ever ... it was DIVISION 2, REGION 7!) ... Pretty ironic eh? First and only showing just happens to be the region we moved up to this year ...

Box score:

Athens 0 7 0 8 - 15
Logan 7 0 0 0 - 7

Nathan Dickerson 1-4-2-3 yds .... lol 3 yards???? two picks??? Wow, have things changed in Logan ... And yes, it was an Amyx led Chieftain team.

You're right, that was Coach Amyx's first season at the helm of the Chieftain warship. He admitted this year he was lucky (and surprised) to keep his job after a disastrous 2-8 season!

Copley was hurt almost all year and I think we scored about 50 points all year....ugh!! Must have been ugly!

I think I've only seen Athens beat Logan once, that was 1995 when Maxwell went off at Rutter Field.

I MAY have been at that game in '90, but I was in Kindgergarten so I don't really remember.....

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

93Bulldog wrote:HERE YA GO LOCOS ...

Athens 15
Logan 7

Box score:

Athens 0 7 0 8 - 15
Logan 7 0 0 0 - 7

Boyyyyyyyyyy those were the days :lol:

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I did play during your senior year along with other classmates of yours like Heath Wheatley, Pat Mchugh (is that spelled right?), Andy Thompson and many others who enjoyed making us carry equipment to the pit everyday lol. I'll be #56 in your team photo........ I remember the Portsmouth scrimmage the most that year they had that Michael Parker kid who was like a man among boys that year.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Here are some good for ya locos:

Old 93 'Dog's experience facing the 'Chiefs ...

Article from 1991:

Lambert leads Logan over Athens, to share of title:

The Chieftains invaded Rutter Field after knocking off Marietta 19-0 the previous week with a chance to grab a share of the SEOAL title. Logan scored twice inside the first two minutes of the game (lol), took a 22-0 lead into halftime ... then won 29-2. Logan finished 7-3 overall and 4-1 in the league. (Tied with Marietta for the championship)

Athens was WINLESS IN TEN GAMES and 0-5 in the SEOAL ... Bryan Lambert scored 3 touchdowns and 182 yardsa rushing ... (And delivered a crushing blow to 93Bulldog - nearly knocking the good looking fellow from Athens into the next week) ... Oh yea, Lambert had 13 carries for 153 yards at the half ... Greg Crosley 13 carries for 111 yards (including 103 yards at the half) ... Brian Miller 5-9-1-101 for Logan.

93Bulldog's stat line ... one fumble recovery!!! lol (that was my junior year)

The next 7 or 8 articles in the folder are from my senior year ... one headline states: ATHENS LOSSES 17TH GAME IN A ROW!!! lol

A-TOWN ... LOOKING AT YA RIGHT NOW MAN, BOY YOU WERE A GO0FY LITTLE FRESHMAN ... J/K

I remember ya well A-town, we didn't have many players so you guys had to play with us full time ...

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I filled out a little since then 93 I go about 6'3 300 now. Some might say I'm still a little goofy though. :lol:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

1992 ... Athens Vs Logan

Article in Athens Messenger: Crossley leads Logan over 'Dogs

Logan pulled away from a four-point halftime lead that was nearly a three-point deficit and defeated Athens 35-16 at Sauer Field. (Ol 93Dog was kicking some butt in the first half during his last game ever, which happened to be at the freakin HILLTOP, can you believe that ... what's the chances that my last memories ever as a football player are forever linked to the dreaded purple and white)

After the win and some scoreboard watching, Logan realizes it gained a share of the league title along with Jackson and Gallipolis - after Jackson edged Gallia 7-0 ...the news was given to the Chieftains while their game with Athens was still in progress ... (So now, not only is my last game at Logan, they are freakin celebrating a league title while its still going on.)

Logan finished 6-4 overall and 4-1 in the league for part of the tri-championship. Athens bows out at 1-9 and 1-4. GREG CROSSLEY rushed 210 yards on 31 carries and scored 4 touchdowns! TOM SMITH (Katie's little brother - or should I say big/little brother) scored the other TD for Logan. Jordan Jackson made all 5 of his PAT's and completed the season with perfect a 22-for-22 in that department.

Before halftime, Athens cut the lead to 14-10 on a Nick Toth 84-yard touchdown run - and then forced Logan to punt on the ensuing possession after three rushing attempts by Crossley netted only 2-yards. The scene of Toth running down the sideline for a long touchdown nearly repeated itself as Toth had an apparent 87-yard touchdown run NULLAFIED BY A HOLDING PENALTY! (Yep, that's what you get when you visit the Hilltop ... we score that, its a completely different game going forward)

Athens head coach Kevin Meade (former Logan assistant the previous year) was given a 15-yard penalty for continuing to argue with the referee's as the two teams headed to the locker room for halftime ... the second half; Brian Miller hit Chad Zimmerman with a 36-yard pass on the Chieftains first possession which set up a Crossley 2-yard run with 9:42 left in the 3rd ... Crossley scored again on a 3-yard run with 2:33 to go in the quater.

The "Dogs were undaunted by the Chieftain lead and drove 64 yards on 12 plays and scored on a Pat McHugh 11-yard run to make it 28-16. (My old pal Pat McHugh was the quarterback, and pretty much our only real descent player ... he went on to play at Glenville State in West Virginia for RICH RODRIGUEZ, now head coach at Michigan) ... On the two-point conversion attempt to pull within 10 pts, TOM SMITH picked off a McHugh pass that was intended for 93Bulldog (who was playing tight end and ran a delayed cross over the middle ... the ball looked like it was heading right for my hands until Tom stepped in front of me and snagged it)

Later in the contest, SMITH sealed the win for Logan with another interception, this one for a 25-yard touchdown with 4:13 left in the fourth ... The INT was a result of a crushing hit by John Cosgrove on reciever Bob Bowser, the ball was jarred loose and Smith was their to pick it up ... (Poor Bowser, he was only 140-pounds and he got absolutly leveled, I was standing only a few feet away and it sounded like a mack truck hitting a concrete wall ...lol)

Crossley finished with 210 yards, Todd Wyrick had 52 yards rushing. Brian Miller was 3-6-0-54 yards (six pass attempts ... lol ... what would Logan fans now a days think of that) ... Nick Toth of Athens ran for 127 yards and two TD's ... 93Bulldog finished with 17 yards on two carries!!! ... Last two plays of the game, I finally got the chance to run the ball after suffering from tendenitis in my knee all season and had to move to TE so I could keep playing ... My very last memory wearing a football jersey included me running down the sideline, looking inward to see if anyone was going to tackle me and then BOOM! About 45 seconds later the trainer is snapping his fingers in my face ... I had been drilled by Tom Smith who ran about 20 yards from his middle linebacker position and nailed me with a full head of steam with me not even seeing him to brace for it ... My buddy on the sideline told me what happened when we got to the locker room after the game, I had no clue and im not sure I even knew what day it was.

THERE YA GO LOCOS, SOME OLD SCHOOL LOGAN/ATHENS HISTORY FOR YA

A-TOWN ... 6'3 300??? MAN, I WISH YOU WERE THAT BIG IN 1992 ... LOL

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

bulldog -

I have every Logan game story from 1936-1997 on my hard drive. Unfortunately, they are all .PDFs so I can't Copy and Paste.

I borrowed the microfilm from the LDN and scanned them all while I was at Ohio State. I'm sure I can find alot of great stories......

Like John Cosgrove's 6 TD game in 1994 or Derek Harden's 6 TD game in 2000..... now THOSE were the days ;)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Yea, those were the days alright ... the days that really Suc...! lol

So betwen me and A-town Big Dog, we know of two times that Athens beat Logan ... TWO ... TWO ... And I've been watching games since about 1987 I think ... Im in the process of attempting to find my sisters senior year (the year before Bubba with Scott Strickland at QB) I believe Athens won at home against Logan - because the next year we won @ the Hilltop (15-7). I am about 99% sure the 'Dogs took care of the Chieftains that year because my 1990 football program says "RETURNING SEOAL CHAMPS" ... That would actually mean I watched two Athens wins over Logan back-to-back, one at home and one on the road the following year ... Other than that, its been all one-sided affairs, or "lucky" wins by the 'Chiefs like in 2002 ... :mrgreen:

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Nothing would make this season any sweeter for Chieftain fans(except a state title) than to play the Bulldogs in the playoffs.

I would love to be there and see your shock and awe.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

93 -

Athens beat Logan in '89 and '90. The Chiefs still share the title with the 'Dogs in '89.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Sports Writers polls are out.

DII 1 Louisville
4. Logan
10. New Philadelphia
12. Zanesville
13. Olentangy Orange
18. Big Walnut

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

7072 wrote:Sports Writers polls are out.

DII 1 Louisville
4. Logan
10. New Philadelphia
12. Zanesville
13. Olentangy Orange
18. Big Walnut

Region 7 is a bear!!!!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

2old wrote:93,

Nothing would make this season any sweeter for Chieftain fans(except a state title) than to play the Bulldogs in the playoffs.

I would love to be there and see your shock and awe.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings any, I would take a little shock and awe. It would be a good measuring stick to see how far we still have to go to get where we all want to be. Good luck to the Chiefs the rest of the year.

tigersfan88
Varsity

Post by tigersfan88 »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:Warren is having a great year and deservidily so however, Logan, Ironton and, Zanesville will likely be to much for them to handle. Time will tell good luck to all of the area teams, I hope we get several area teams in the playoffs in all regions.

Warren doesnt even play Zanesville

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Funny, Athens bolted the SEOAL because of Travel? Maybe they could not compete with the Jacksons and Irontons, which are smaller schools and Logan which is also D II. I hope Logan meets the bullpuppies in a playoff game, the Chiefs will give athens a football lesson! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

tigersfan88 wrote:
A-Town Big Dog wrote:Warren is having a great year and deservidily so however, Logan, Ironton and, Zanesville will likely be to much for them to handle. Time will tell good luck to all of the area teams, I hope we get several area teams in the playoffs in all regions.

Warren doesnt even play Zanesville

Sorry. I was thinking of Chillicothe, Who Warren may be able to compete with. My appoligies.

Return to “Football”