RIVER VALLEY 09

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

RIVER VALLEY 09

Post by ole_Bobcat »

Thoughts and input please?

I know they are very young and the schedule is tough as always.

GOOD LUCK RAIDERS!

Had some good points against SG and had a few mistakes,
Defense needs to tackle better i think this comes with time. I would like to see them go to a 5-2 at times in games the 4-4 hasn't been very good to them in the past against the outside running game.

Brown looks good at QB,not sure about Heffner as a QB he is by far the best RB on the team hate to see him sit on the sidelines with a clipboard.

Jared does great job and he is starting to ge the right kids to come out and the youth program has grown by leaps and bounds. The future looks bright.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Re: RIVER VALLEY 09

Post by RVRaiderFan »

I was VERY impressed with Brown at QB on Saturday night!

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Tackling as always and I mean always been RV's kryptonite, along with poor play in the secondary. Also, a 5-2 is not a good idea as a base defnse. A 4-3 is good, but I would like to see them use speed up front and run the 3-4. This allows the LB's to fly around more, and you can blitz them as well as corners like crazy.

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

I agree totally on the concept that the 5-2 would not be the bread and butter defense i would just like to see them be able to change up a little and perhaps be able to go to a 5-2 or 3-4 and keep the OLB's close enough to get penetration and contain the outside running game. Now they don't make the first blocker commit early and it exposes the cutback lane on the end. I've watched it happen for several years seems they line up almost the same on every play. Regardless of the situation or down and distance.They simply give up too many BIG running plays.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I for one cant wait for the opener with my Minford Falcons. We will see exactly where each team is at and then really get our expectations for the year.

Way too hard to set expectations based on scrimmage and jamboree games!

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

River Valley has something this year that they haven't had in several years..........speed! The size of the line has diminished, as has key lettermen. I believe they have only 6 returning lettermen. But the RV's of the past few years have been BIG, and SLOW. As anyone with any knowledge of the game at all would know, you can't defend speed with anything but speed. So look for RV to make a few statements on defense. Offensively.......... they will have to spread it and throw. I have talked to coach Ward, te line coach for RV he has 1 senior on his line, the rest are sophomores and freshmen. They have plenty of heart, and give great effort, but just can't get a running game established just yet. In the scrimmage against SG, I thought that they pass protected well, but the size of SG's line was too much for them to run against. As far as league play goes......... who knows. They will have 5 tune-up games before they get in league play, so with hard work, and a whole lot of heart, they could hold their own in the league. I don't look for anyone to blow them out, like in the past. I think that we as fans, and supporters need to get behind the young Raiders, and their coaching staff, and show them that even when most people will count them out, we are in their corner, and when the game is over, win or lose, we still support our team.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I guess i would say it depends on how you run your 5-2 and the personnel you have on the team. The 5-2 and 3-4 are very similar; in the 3-4 the DE of the 5-2 are called linebackers and are sometimes walked away a little and are allowed to play in space a little more. the DT of the 5-2 are called DE in a 3-4.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

RVFAN wrote:River Valley has something this year that they haven't had in several years..........speed! The size of the line has diminished, as has key lettermen. I believe they have only 6 returning lettermen. But the RV's of the past few years have been BIG, and SLOW. As anyone with any knowledge of the game at all would know, you can't defend speed with anything but speed. So look for RV to make a few statements on defense. Offensively.......... they will have to spread it and throw. I have talked to coach Ward, te line coach for RV he has 1 senior on his line, the rest are sophomores and freshmen. They have plenty of heart, and give great effort, but just can't get a running game established just yet. In the scrimmage against SG, I thought that they pass protected well, but the size of SG's line was too much for them to run against. As far as league play goes......... who knows. They will have 5 tune-up games before they get in league play, so with hard work, and a whole lot of heart, they could hold their own in the league. I don't look for anyone to blow them out, like in the past. I think that we as fans, and supporters need to get behind the young Raiders, and their coaching staff, and show them that even when most people will count them out, we are in their corner, and when the game is over, win or lose, we still support our team.

Very nice RVFAN....totally agree with you!

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

They also have a school building with no buckets to dodge in the hallway and fully functioning water fountains!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

BlizzardMan wrote:They also have a school building with no buckets to dodge in the hallway and fully functioning water fountains!

Eh. . . that just spoils 'em! :lol:

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

RVFAN wrote:River Valley has something this year that they haven't had in several years..........speed! The size of the line has diminished, as has key lettermen. I believe they have only 6 returning lettermen. But the RV's of the past few years have been BIG, and SLOW. As anyone with any knowledge of the game at all would know, you can't defend speed with anything but speed. So look for RV to make a few statements on defense. Offensively.......... they will have to spread it and throw. I have talked to coach Ward, te line coach for RV he has 1 senior on his line, the rest are sophomores and freshmen. They have plenty of heart, and give great effort, but just can't get a running game established just yet. In the scrimmage against SG, I thought that they pass protected well, but the size of SG's line was too much for them to run against. As far as league play goes......... who knows. They will have 5 tune-up games before they get in league play, so with hard work, and a whole lot of heart, they could hold their own in the league. I don't look for anyone to blow them out, like in the past. I think that we as fans, and supporters need to get behind the young Raiders, and their coaching staff, and show them that even when most people will count them out, we are in their corner, and when the game is over, win or lose, we still support our team.

Don't matter how much speed you have if they are positioned wrong and can't tackle! You can't play the OLB or CB's as they look on RV's defense 6 yards off the TE or OT and expect to stop anyone and you can't tackle around the shoulder pads ( how do the police stop a crook in a high speed pursuit , they shoot out the tires. (Follow me?)

100% support for the Raiders!
Good Luck in 09

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

ole_Bobcat wrote:

Don't matter how much speed you have if they are positioned wrong and can't tackle! You can't play the OLB or CB's as they look on RV's defense 6 yards off the TE or OT and expect to stop anyone and you can't tackle around the shoulder pads ( how do the police stop a crook in a high speed pursuit , they shoot out the tires. (Follow me?)

Good Luck in 09

That may be a cover 3 corner. Playing a cover 3 corner 6 yards off a TE (provided there is no other reciever to that side) is not unheard of.

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

boogerred wrote:
ole_Bobcat wrote:

Good Luck in 09

That may be a cover 3 corner. Playing a cover 3 corner 6 yards off a TE (provided there is no other reciever to that side) is not unheard of.

You'd have to see how they play it to appricate it it is no cover 3

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

fair enough. I was just trying to give the DC the benefit of the doubt! Anyways, good luck RV!

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

These guys sure dont play like thier rutter leader. Maybe he has gone soft after all those years in Gallia County.....The Green Express is coming!

bigstick625
Freshman Team

Post by bigstick625 »

Good luck to the Raiders this season , except for tonight. Go Falcons.

:12222

Return to “Football”