1950-51

Mister Bee
Varsity

Re: 1950-51

Post by Mister Bee »

I have been researching Belpre football history. I believe that the results that I am posting are correct to my knowledge. I have verified them through newspaper articles, yearbooks, Belpre High School records that I have attained and various internet sites as well as other posters from other schools that Belpre has or had a prior history of playing at one time or the other.

The fall of 1950 was Belpre's first season for football. Home games were played at Marietta College's Don Drum Stadium. The school colors were officially orange and black then but the uniforms weren't as color matched as they are today. Home teams generally wore white jerseys and visitors a dark color. In our case, for the first few years, it was orange. And no, these weren't hand-me-down uniforms from Marietta High School, Belpre bought new uniforms for their football team. There was some second hand equipment but it came from Ohio University as Belpre's coach Al Lilley, was friends with OU's coach at that time.

The 1950 results, with Belpre's score listed first...

Head coach Al Lilley, asst coach Mr Myles.

The Plains 7-7 tie
Jacksonsonville-Trimble 32-6 W
Chauncey-Dover 0-56 L
Coalton 26-0 W
Parkersburg WV JV 21-6 W
McArthur 6-14 L
Rutland 6-26 L
Paden City WV 32-0 W

Final record 4-3-1

If anyone has valid proof otherwise, please feel free to send me a message and I will gladly look at your results and make adjustments if they can be verified.
Last edited by Mister Bee on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Entirely different group of schools.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

I failed to mention this but I am certain, via older posters from other schools, that Belpre was a member of the old SEOBL, Southeastern Ohio Buckeye League, that was the little brother of the larger schools of the SEOAL.

From what I have gathered, these were the teams that made up the SEOBL for football...basketball schools I have no idea as many small schools did not field football teams.

Belpre Golden Eagles (orange & black)
Rutland Red Devils (red & white)
Middleport Yellowjackets (yellow & gold?)
Pomeroy Purple Panthers (purple & white)
The Plains Indians (blue & gold)
Chauncey-Dover Blue Devils (blue & white)

Return to “Southeastern Ohio Sports History”