Joe Burrow- Athens, OSU, LSU, WHO DEY!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Burrow vs. Haskins

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Pulling for Burrow, but Haskins can also pass, and he is amazingly quick on his feet. Hard decision to make imo.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I don't really understand how this is close.. after being at the spring game and watching warmups and the game I don't see why people think these 2 are close at quarterback... if you want a guy who mimicked your starter you want haskins.. but he is going to be just like your starter against good defenses he will struggle.... Martel at least right now doesn't have the arm to be a college quarterback after about 20 yards his passes wobble 2 much.. Haskins is a physical specimen and a great athlete but not a great quarterback

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

svac83 wrote:I don't really understand how this is close.. after being at the spring game and watching warmups and the game I don't see why people think these 2 are close at quarterback... if you want a guy who mimicked your starter you want haskins.. but he is going to be just like your starter against good defenses he will struggle.... Martel at least right now doesn't have the arm to be a college quarterback after about 20 yards his passes wobble 2 much.. Haskins is a physical specimen and a great athlete but not a great quarterback
Really? From what I saw, Haskins was throwing darts and putting touch on the ball downfield.

I think the back up job (and possible starter) is very close between Haskins and Burrow. I for one would love to see the local kid behind center but looking at them both objectively, Haskins is right there and he has tons of potential.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I dont know it seemed to me a lot of his passes were high and out of reach of receivers he did get better as game went on and he did throw a ton more passes then the other 2 quarterbacks. Don't get me wrong. Burrow had the advantage of a lot of blown defensive coverage that aloud several passes to be caught because most of his deep balls were under thrown. Like i said i saw game live i have watched no TV of it so i am going off memory. But i dont remember haskins completing a thrown ball over 15 yards until late in second half he had a lot of plays over 20 yards do to yards after catch. Like i said i could be wrong. just going off my memory. It probably also doesn't help. that accept during first quarter all haskins long passes were at other end of the stadium then from where i was at so maybe i did not have best view. But when they warmed up right in front of me. I thought Burrow through the most catch-able ball. i thought they both looked better then Barrett. I just thought Haskins looked like a bigger maybe even more athletic Barrett. But that is my opinion as i know very little about Ohio State football. Me and my wife went wrong somewhere throughout raising our daughter despite my best efforts she is a buckeye fan. They are better then my Moutaineers but that is a team i know much more about.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Bleeding Red wrote:Martell might be one of those guys with tons of potential that never plays a snap for OSU.

His size might lead him to transferring to a place like Youngstown St in a year or two
From where he is from I see him headed that direction if he leaves.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

BR has the right idea regarding Tate Martell, although I agree with noreply in that should Martell leave, it will probably be out west towards Nevada/California.

Martell is someone LOTS of schools out that way would kill for in the case of a transfer. Yeah, he might go FCS to save his eligibility (however that situation looks), but I would be really surprised to see his collegiate career to end at a level below FBS.

farmer
SEOP

Joe Burrow tweets against NCAA

Post by farmer »

Joe tweeted
Our team is worth 1.5 BILLION dollars but it wouldn't be fair to other students if we get a free hamburger

This was after a report saying the Buckeyes are worth 1.5 Billion. Which to me is a little low since that is around what the Browns sold for a few years ago. The Buckeyes pay their coaches better but not their players as much.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Re: Joe Burrow tweets against NCAA

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Joe better shut that mouth before he ends way in the dog house

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Joe could also be getting his name out there for other coaches to hear. If he may transfer. As JT will play until he is hurt or they lose 2 more games.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

He's not wrong

And no way he would transfer before he graduates. He's too good to go FCS. Maybe would go somewhere as a grad transfer, but that's it. He'll have an excellent chance to start next year.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Burrow is correct in his viewpoint but he should have exhibited better judgement in airing his opinion on social media. Burrow's only hope for a starting job will be as a graduate transfer. Haskins clearly is the coaching staff's choice for backup to Barrett at this point in time.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Unless he blowing smoke up peoples butt, Meyer said last week Burrow was ready to come back and liked what he saw in practice for him being backup to Barrett. Didn't happen today but this could get interesting if something happens to Barrett.

Omega
SEOPS H

Joe Burrow Article As The Off Season Starts

Post by Omega »

From the Land of Ten:

When J.T. Barrett walked off the field and to the locker room after the Buckeyes’ 24-7 win over USC in the Cotton Bowl on Friday night, it was officially the end of an era at Ohio State.

While one door closed after the win, another has opened for the Buckeyes. Coach Urban Meyer and Ohio State now will look to a future without Barrett behind center, and they will have to replace the most prolific quarterback in Big Ten history.

Although Dwayne Haskins likely will be the favorite to take the starting job next season — and there is a select group that would like to see redshirt freshman Tate Martell get a shot as the starting quarterback next season — another option for the Buckeyes is Joe Burrow.

However, Burrow said on Friday night that he has a decision to make about his future over the next couple of weeks. Burrow is weighing whether to stay at Ohio State and compete for the starting job next season or to transfer to another program.

“I have to talk to my parents about it, talk to my coaches, and just make a decision here in the near future,” Burrow said.

“I don’t know. I’m leaning toward staying.”

When asked about the process of coming to terms with considering a transfer, Burrow said it was tough on him.

“Yeah, it was pretty devastating to me for a while,” Burrow said. “I came to terms with it the last couple weeks. Either way, no matter what I do, I’m going to have to come out and compete somewhere. I felt like I got a lot better in the last couple weeks of bowl practice, and that was good.”

Burrow, who has been on Ohio State’s depth chart over the last three seasons, would prove to be a strong candidate for the job if he opts to stay. While Haskins got most of the backup reps this season, including when he led the Buckeyes to victory in The Game after Barrett left with a right knee injury, Burrow provides experience and familiarity with Ohio State’s system. He brings a dual-threat playmaking ability and a strong knowledge of Ohio State’s offense.

There is no easy way to replace a quarterback such as Barrett, who has not only been starting behind center for the Buckeyes for the better part of the last four seasons but also has been the only three-time captain in program history.

That being said, Burrow has worked with Barrett over the last three seasons. If he stays, Burrow has a legitimate chance to be the heir apparent to Barrett.

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/ohi ... jt-barrett

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Joe Burrow Article As The Off Season Starts

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'd love to see him transfer, but that would be a huge decision to make likely being at him dream school.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Joey better run if he wants to play... Im a seo guy all my life and wish him the best but believe he has no chance..

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Unless something like 2014 happens again he won’t see significant playing time. Is he good enough? YES. It just won’t happen with Martell and Haskins. I think Martell beats out Haskins and Burrows would be 3rd. The injury really hurt Burrows from being the #2 man and he may never recover from that.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Have to a division 2 or he will have to set out a year Might be Youngstown if he goes

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

itsme wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:53 pm Have to a division 2 or he will have to set out a year Might be Youngstown if he goes
Apparently Burrow will graduate from Ohio State in May. If so he will have immediate eligibility as a graduate transfer. Ohio State could veto certain schools but if Joe decides to transfer, Meyer will help him as much as possible. I think Joe's best bet would be a MAC school or YSU as you pointed out.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Omega wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:24 pm
itsme wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:53 pm Have to a division 2 or he will have to set out a year Might be Youngstown if he goes
Apparently Burrow will graduate from Ohio State in May. If so he will have immediate eligibility as a graduate transfer. Ohio State could veto certain schools but if Joe decides to transfer, Meyer will help him as much as possible. I think Joe's best bet would be a MAC school or YSU as you pointed out.
Correct, he would not have sit out a year.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Only problem is he has to chose a school with a major not offered by OSU.

Return to “Football”