Wrestling Progam ---Does it help your Football Program

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Wrestling Progam ---Does it help your Football Program

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

Just a general question....Do you all who have wrestling in your schools feel like it helps your football program?
How many does it take to form an actual team? Our district has never, as far as I know, had a wrestling team.

wrestlefan
JV Team

Re: Wrestling Progam ---Does it help your Football Program

Post by wrestlefan »

YES

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

my answer would be yes and know. for most weights lets say up to like 170. i would say absolutely and can not think of one negative for it. at weights above 170 these kids spend months and months trying to build size for football now they are trying to lose 10 to 12 lbs or maybe more to make a weight class. that is sometimes only possible down fall

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

these kids losing 10-12 pounds arent losing muscle, they are losing fat and leaning up.
they are gaining speed by not carrying the excess fat

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

i understand that. but when you have a kid say a guard or center that maybe goes 195 to 200. and have worked all year to build a little size. now that kid if he wants to start may have to wrestle say 182. he is lucky if he is back at 200 by next football season and if he didn't wrestle he may of been 210 or 2015. or i remember a couple of kids. 240 working to get down to 220 for wrestling. yes he is quicker the next year. but when he is cross line from a 300 pounder coach would sometimes love to have those extra 10 pounds. but for what it does for mental toughness and athletic fitness and agility i don't think any sport does them as much good as wrestling.

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

the kid making the sacrifices will be twice the player as the one packing on 20 pounds of fat to weigh 215
or three times the player as the one with 45 % body fat and weighing 300 pounds

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

like i said i do not disagree with the benefits one bit. I don't know anyone that wrestles that isn't a better football player because of it. But i also know some football players that don't have as much fat to lose as they lose to wrestle their weight class. Now there are not a lot of these guys but they are out there. But i don't disagree with your main point. i was just stating the only possible negative anyone could think of.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I think it definitely helps the football program as long as they participate in both sports.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

Most of our starters this year for our fb team were wrestlers. The football Coach always appreciated having wrestlers because he did not have to worry about them making tackles and footwork and handwork for his lineman.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Funny I Just Started A Thread On The Football Board On This! I Agree 100% It Helps!

tbone7707
Waterboy

Post by tbone7707 »

I have only two football players that want to wrestle. So wouldn't know if it helps or not

Return to “Wrestling”