Division 2 Alexander Sectional Talk !

78 Panther
Waterboy

Division 2 Alexander Sectional Talk !

Post by 78 Panther »

What is everyone's opinion on this Division 2 Sectional at Alexander? Who's the individuals to watch at each weight class ? What team will bring the strongest lie-up to this tounament ?

78 Panther
Waterboy

Re: Division 2 Alexander Sectional Talk !

Post by 78 Panther »

Ok, I'll give it a try...I honestly have'nt seen as much wrestling as I normally would, one reason for this thread to get some input on what other's opinions are. So here it goes in no particular order.

106 - Greenlee (GA), Sheppard (NL),
113- Greenlee (GA), Clouse (S), Freeman (NL), Hamric (VC)
120- Stevens (GA), Webb (VC), Glick (NL)
126- Soto (S), Jackson (A), Price (NL)
132- Macy (A), Queen (J), Hicks (NL)
138- Barnett (S)
145 - Householder (S), Parks (J),
152- Munyan (S), West (NL), Crisenbery (GA)
160- Not real sure here
170- Williams (NL), Jude (FU), Jacks (GA)
182- Neece (FU), Vilaloboz (NL)
195- Loughman (S)
220- Hood (M),
285- Lenhart (FU), Kelly (VC)

Really feel like i'm missing a few great wrestlers here. Someone jump in here and throw me some more info please !

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Warren has some that should/could make it out.
Junior 113 Eli Ross was 2nd at 106 last year and won a match at districts
Soph.132 Ben Godel could be a an outside shot
Soph. 138 Tristan Duffey Sect 5th at 119,district alternate last year.
Freshman 145 Brady Oberdier is 42-8 and should be in the mix
Soph.152 Liam Kellar should be pushing for a top 4 spot, sect. 3rd at 126 last year
Senior 160 Casey Parsons a 2014 state qualifier, sect 2nd at 152 last year, went out with injury at districts, New Lex's could be top 2 here.
Junior 170 Ronnie Hill has wrestled some tough kids may be your fourth here. sect 4th at 170 last year
Athens has the Macy's one is at 132 I believe and is good. not sure about the other one.
Doesn't Meigs have a 195 that is very good?
Fairfield Union is probably the team to beat for the sectional championship, with Sheridan, New Lex, and Gallia. Warren could sneak in there possibly for a top four finish. And don't forget about Vinton Co., have not seen or heard much on them, usually have some in the mix as well.
Jackson has Billy Cooper at 182? and some others that are solid wrestlers.
DII should be some exciting wrestling at Alexander.

78 Panther
Waterboy

Post by 78 Panther »

Yes, I did miss Warren and have seen them in competition once this year. Very true they will have a handful of great kids pushing their way through this sectional. I do agree that the head to head between Fairfield Union, Sheridan, New Lex and Gallia Academy will come down to how many each team can get in that top six mix up. Jackson is sure to have 3-4 very solid competitors as well. I haven't seen Vinton County this year and I know their program continues to grow and reload some quality athletes. Meigs is always good for a few solid kids to stand in and show they belong. I'll be following the league tournaments and try to throw together a honest guess at a top 6 this weekend. The MVL is certain to have some surprise weight changes and Champions that aren't always expected. The TVC tournament will likely follow suit with some shockers and a feel for who is serious about moving forward in the tournament. I will be at the MVL tournament and following the TVC tournament. Thanks Auburntgrfan i always enjoy the insight of fellow fans of our Southeast Ohio kids. They certainly deserve more attention than they get credit for !

78 Panther
Waterboy

Post by 78 Panther »

Well folks here goes nothing. This is just my opinion of what I believe the sectional looks like. Any and all comments and opinions are welcome. Good Luck to all Wrestlers and Schools competing at this Sectional.

At 106 i would expect Greenlee to resume his spot at #1 with Sheppard or Kohler being his opponent in the finals depending on the bracket. I would expect Bottomley to be right there in that third place match seeking a district opportunity

When it comes to 113 I got Ross over Greenlee already head to head this year, I also have Warthman back at Fairfield Union not Pavlov winning the other night at Logan. Hamric has been wrestling 126 so a last minute cut to 113 would be surprising. Freeman walked through the MVL with three first period pins as he started his season 132 and apparently worked on himself to show where he fits. He has some quality wins at 126 over Jackson and Imboden. Leaves me a battle between Ross and Freeman in the finals showing which 113 has more determination.

120 holds alot of excitement as the top 4 Webb, Factor, Glick, and Belt in my opinion is Webb's sectional with the other 3 in any order depending on how the show up and perform.

This 126 class is certainly a finals war between Soto and Stevens and calling a winner could come down to the third period. I question Stevens dropping to 120 and walking through the sectional. Price and Miller along with Jackson are quite the show for 3/4 with whomever wants it bad enough moving on.

132 is the weight class to watch a true war to make districts Queen, Wolcott, Hicks, Macy, and the freshman Welsh will battle it out 100% to earn each quarter and semi final spot.

Barnett is a beast at 138 no doubt I do believe Kirby gives him some trouble for the title but 3/4 are a pure toss up of who's bringing their A game to sectionals. I cant even guess how this weight finishes out due to the depth not really being present.

145 is going to be a skills and abilities match up with Householder and Crisenbery and a 3/4 war between Macy, Talbot, and Edwards. Talbot is a freshman but has shown this season he can hang with the big boys at this weight. I can see Macy making a solid push here also as he has definitely improved this season.

Munyan and West is an obvious rematch again here at 152 but picking a winner is not a possibility these two have competed against each other for many years and is always a nail biter. in my opinion the rest of this class is a bowl of fish gaining the skills to compete with these two studs.

Parsons is a beast at 160 but Mautz has turned up the game here recently and should be a great battle none the less. Anspach, Keels, and Lewis are not to be overlooked for this weight class and with 170 being stacked no surprise to see one drop to 160 and put on a technique class for the rest of the field.

Williams owns this 170 weight class with solid wins over the entire field. I would expect Jude again in the finals but never will I count out Jacks because he has proven to be a contender. Boyer and Hill battle it out for the 4th spot.

182 Neece has shown to be a athlete to watch and his season has shown the fact he will compete at the championship level here. I have only seen Cooper once and he is a great wrestler but I want to give Neece the go ahead here for some reason. Villaloboz, Bobo, and Erslan will put on a show to get to the finals and fight for the district appearance.

195 lacks a lot to be desired here this year and filling in the top 4 is virtually impossible. I do think Gregg should win this with Welsh, Dailey, and Blair putting forth some effort making this a toss up.

With Shively making a return here, 220 is his weight class if he is healthy. Hood and Loughman will battle to face him in the finals yet again if Hood is healthy otherwise I can totally agree with Walmat and hand this class to Loughman.

Heavyweight is Lenhart's bracket to win given he is determined to. The rest of this field is likely a sumo fest of who's gonna score and move on.

Team wise, Fairfield Union is the shoe in with the head to head wins over both Perry County Beasts but we all know this time of year the focus is more individual than team and the school with the biggest group of placers is the one who gets the 2017 Sectional Crown. Good Luck to all the wrestlers and schools this year !

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

team wise i think the sectional finishes this way. (hard to really tell until you see what weight class everyone finishes in
sheridan 7 getting to district walcott, householder and munyon best chance to get to columbus
fairfield union 10 getting to district Jude and prysock best chance to get to columbus
gallia academy 8 getting to district kyle greenlee best chance to get to columbus
new lexington 8 getting to district mautz and williams best chance to get to columbus
warren 6 getting to district (parsons best chance but 152 is loaded at heath) not sure he will make it out not shocked if he goes to 160
vinton county 6 getting to district
jackson 4 to district billy cooper best chance to get to columbus
athens 3 to district
meigs 2 to district
chillicothie 1 to district
bloom carroll 0 to district
This sectional is a little different then in past years. In a lot of weight classes this is the deepest this sectional has been since southeast has split into 2 sectionals. Usually the mid to up weight classes here have been real competitive and the 106 and 113 not very deep this year is just the opposite. This Sectional is hard to handicap as i think there will be a lot of people dropping weight classes and i think there will be a few guys move up that people will surprise people. They will move up or stay at present weight as a way to possible get out of district... This heath district is loaded. I only see like 9 kids out of this sectional having a great shot to make the state tournament. so as a whole this will be considered a week sectional once again. This sectional maybe has a chance to get 2 kids on the podium in columbus. Hopefully we will do better then i think.

There are a few things that almost always is true about these sectionals. The kids from New lexington and Sheridan will almost always outperform what they do during regular season. Almost all the Athens wrestlers will wrestle better then there records. The Gallia Academy kids will under perform there records a little bit and there will be 3 or 4 kids that no one is talking about that will advance from this sectional and these kids will usually be from chillicithie or jackson.

Now i have been away from wrestling a couple of years and have only seen a couple of tourneys since late December. When did they change the entry window for sectionals. you always used to have entries in like last Thursday then they would have a seed meeting like this weekend and brackets would be out mid week. So from what i am reading you dont have to submit until Thursday and you could submit alternates even on weigh-in day. a kid may even bump up if he didn't make weight instead of being scratched. am i reading this wrong or is this the way this works now.

78 Panther
Waterboy

Post by 78 Panther »

Bloom Caroll is now at Whitehall-yearling Sectional. I do not believe you can change weight class at weigh-in, the exception is for discipline, illness, and emergency situations only.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

78 Panther wrote:Bloom Caroll is now at Whitehall-yearling Sectional. I do not believe you can change weight class at weigh-in, the exception is for discipline, illness, and emergency situations only.
I didn't know that about bloom carrol i thought when they moved them they would be there for 2 years. But that is cool. i think only there heavyweight would of had a chance to get out anyway.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

And i reread the thing on sectionals and you are right it is same way it always has been on who qualifies only thing that has really changed is entry deadline much later and seed meetings are not done days in advance.

78 Panther
Waterboy

Post by 78 Panther »

This sectional will certainly hold some pure Southeast Ohio Talent. I hope to see 8-10 make the dance in Columbus although others projections only say 4 will make it through Districts I think the region has grown and become slightly more competitive with the rest of the state. Country boys have a lot on their plates between school, home life, and sports and I see kids every year unable to compete due to family circumstance. I hope our area continues to grow with this sport and the respect these kids deserve is one day present.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Rooting for one of my favorites - Billy Cooper

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

minford17 wrote:Rooting for one of my favorites - Billy Cooper
Rooting right there with you, hope he makes a run.

Return to “Wrestling”