Fumbling the Baton in Relays

lancer1
Waterboy

Fumbling the Baton in Relays

Post by lancer1 »

This is becoming an increasingly bad problem.... especially in the 4x400. High speeds and metal don't mix to give you a particularly good grip and slippage is an issue around SE Ohio. I am hearing this from multiple sources

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Fumbling the Baton in Relays

Post by noreply66 »

Been to many meets in Southeastern Ohio and it isn't a problem. Even meets that I receive or get myself I hardly see DQs in relays. They may be some but not enough to call a problem.

I would like to see a list of your sources.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

It's really not a massive issue for most teams. The only time it's an issue is when teams don't practice it.

goldeneagle1
Waterboy

Post by goldeneagle1 »

HUGE problem in the Hocking area. Don't know about other conferences though. To other hocking posters Do you realize the recurring fumbles at meets down at south gallia? I have witnessed this a few times at home meets at belpre too.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Chieftain2009 wrote:It's really not a massive issue for most teams. The only time it's an issue is when teams don't practice it.
Agree with this. Has to be the number one reason for dropping the baton. Going to meets where I saw batons being dropped had to do a lot with runner taking off too soon and this goes down under not enough practice. I don't see too many batons dropped in the 4x400 or 4x800 because runners are not trying to catch up in a short amount of time like in the 4x1 or 4x2.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

noreply66 wrote:
Chieftain2009 wrote:It's really not a massive issue for most teams. The only time it's an issue is when teams don't practice it.
Agree with this. Has to be the number one reason for dropping the baton. Going to meets where I saw batons being dropped had to do a lot with runner taking off too soon and this goes down under not enough practice. I don't see too many batons dropped in the 4x400 or 4x800 because runners are not trying to catch up in a short amount of time like in the 4x1 or 4x2.
Exactly right! In races such as the 4x100 and 4x200 you HAVE TO practice your handoffs, whether it be on the curves or on the straightaways and the exact person handing off to the exact same person you have your relay scheduled to run in. It's not such a big issue in the 4x400 and 4x800 as the runner basically side steps looking back at the baton passer until it is in his/her hand. You do not see the more advanced track and field programs have these problems.

Return to “Track & Field”