High School Hammer Throw

SBThrows
Waterboy

High School Hammer Throw

Post by SBThrows »

Are there any meets in southern Ohio that has Hammer Throw? I know that there is an invitational at Morgan that has it. Just wondering if there is any other schools that offer it.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: High School Hammer Throw

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Not many meets offer it, unfortunately! The STS-95 John Glenn Invite offers it, hosted at Muskingum U. I'm teaching my throwers the hammer this year. Ohio State also hosts a hammer throwing meet after the state meet each year.

SBThrows
Waterboy

Post by SBThrows »

We knew about the state meet but also know that you have to have a mark to qualify. Trying to find if there were any meets. I knew that no high school would have a throwing circle so knew they would have to be hosted at a University. Doubtful that our school will be able to get into a meet this year but thought if we could find out where some are held that next year they could be added to our schedule. Thanks for the info.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

No problem! Like I said, I'm teaching mine the hammer this year. We already go to the John Glenn meet every year, so I want them to learn it.

SBThrows
Waterboy

Post by SBThrows »

Did you throw hammer in college? E. Weber is learning from his uncle who is the throwing coach at Rio Grande. He was hoping to find a meet or two but his coach said maybe next year since this year's schedule is pretty much set.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

SBThrows wrote:Did you throw hammer in college? E. Weber is learning from his uncle who is the throwing coach at Rio Grande. He was hoping to find a meet or two but his coach said maybe next year since this year's schedule is pretty much set.
Sure did, threw hammer/weight, discus, shot (wasn't very good at that one), and a little javelin but couldn't ever get it completely figured out. It's a great thing to learn early on especially if you plan on competing in college.

SBThrows
Waterboy

Post by SBThrows »

Eric has never thrown the weight mainly because he wrestles and doesn't do the indoor track. Discus is his favorite and then hammer. His uncle is teaching him to spin in shot instead of gliding. Shot put isn't Eric's favorite but he is picking up on the spin so he my change his mind. He has also thrown javelin in the summer Junior Olympics. He wrestled in a tournament yesterday and today, his grandfather took him and his younger brother to throw shot and discus. He is ready for track season to start.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

If you want to be an elite javelin thrower, and you have a coach who can teach it, you are better off rotating in shot than gliding.

SBThrows
Waterboy

Post by SBThrows »

Eric's uncle coaches him when his grandfather isn't. His uncle is the throwing coach at the University of Rio Grande. So no problem learning any of the events wrong.............Rio has some exceptional throwers in all events..........especially hammer..........and Eric thrives on hard work...............much like his uncle. LOL!

Return to “Track & Field”