When do you start training for shot and disc?

broncofan09
Varsity

When do you start training for shot and disc?

Post by broncofan09 »

When do you start training for shot and disc? Do you wait till around February or do you start as so as possible.

For me I am going to start as soon as school starts next month. I know its a while away but i didnt like the way i threw last year at practice. I didnt get to compete at all but i didnt like my strenght very well. I am going to work very hard this year.

t(ool)hrower
Waterboy

Post by t(ool)hrower »

throwing is year round training...if your committed enough

"vote for donnelly"
Dictator
JV Team

Post by Dictator »

A S A P !!!

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Right Now!!

"Do You Even Remember What It Is Like To Be To Tired To Run"

-I Am What I Am
RamRodBulldogs44
Varsity

Post by RamRodBulldogs44 »

Yeah before I graduated I'd start ASAP!

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

My daughter is starting really soon she hopes to go to STATE

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

Yesterday

blarge
Riding the Bench

Post by blarge »

Track and Field has a competition season, but training is a way of life, year-round for the committed athlete.
Don't neglect nutrition, and LIFT!

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

I guess it just depends on how well you would like your season to turn out.

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Well put blarge. Much weight training---smart weight training---and proper nutrition over the next 4 months will pay great dividends come May. By proper weight training I mean training that gets you stronger, quicker, and more explosive and not necessarily larger, is important. I have seen great athletes get too big and they cannot move. Not good. Actually working on the quicks and explosion are EXTREMELY important for the shot, discus, and long jump. Logan has some people in the shotput and discus who can do great things if they really concentrate on quickness.

Bigboy52
All State

Post by Bigboy52 »

t(ool)hrower wrote:throwing is year round training...if your committed enough

Correct!

If you want to be the best you need to train all year long. Working on you technique is the key.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!
LoganD14Life
Freshman Team

Post by LoganD14Life »

Depends on how successful you want to be.

panthermama
Waterboy

Post by panthermama »

When my son was in 7th grade Logan had this tall, thin thrower in the 8th grade who was amazing. He would be a junior this year. Is he still around? What is he up to throwing now. I remember he was out throwing the big stocky boys in the shot. Someone told me he did Jr. Olympics.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Don't know if that would have been Neff or not.---panthermama

panthermama
Waterboy

Post by panthermama »

I just remembered that our Jr. High coach made all of our boys a booklet on the year with all the seasons results. The Logan boys name was John Neff. Is he still around throwing?

Cookie
Freshman Team

Post by Cookie »

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Jon Neffs will be throwing for Logan this year.Has been doing the weights and could be throwing 50 feet. He will be the number two man behind Hoch. Not sure but Potter could be throwing in the 50 foot range too.

highonthehill
Waterboy

Post by highonthehill »

panthermama, Where does your son go to school?Jon's goals this year is 135 in disc and 55 feet in shot!His best last year was 47'8 with only participating half of the year!Also Neff is taking basketball off and hitting the weights so I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit that 55 foot mark!Talking to him in the weight room many times about him not playing basketball I've asked why?He says that he thinks that he can recieve a track scholarships so thast what he wants to focus on!

panthermama
Waterboy

Post by panthermama »

My son goes to Southeastern. He doesn't throw disc, just shot and runs. I think this year he is hoping to just throw. He is practicing with disc hoping to improve, but we can't get anyone to help with our throwers. My son has to power to sail both of them, but he lacks technique. I think his longest throw last year was a 43 foot throw. He throws pure muscle and we don't know how to work on form. I thought about sending him to a camp, but haven't done it yet. I know they are supposed to have a good one above Columbus. He isn't working on anything now. He wrestled last year but it cut into deer season too much.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Ashland University will have an indoor camp in January not sure of the date but if you go on their athletic website you will be able to find the details. Its usually two Sundays and you dont have to go to both. It is usually shot only.

Return to “Track & Field”