Top 5 Chillicothe B-ball Players of all time

Moderator: SEOP Mods

Postby O.R.prep » March 3rd, 2008, 8:09 pm

With the end of Anthony (Humpty) Hitchens high school hoop career soon coming to the end. I thought it would be a great time to get some thoughts on this topic. I know there are allot of names I won't get on here but here it is.

TOP 5
Anthony(Humpty) Hitchens- the best PG to ever play at CHS- Akron-U
Mark Bayless- Played both guard spots but is more of a two gaurd- Played a couple years at Ohio State
Gorden Mickie (spelling)Played at Indiana
Joe Glassgow(spelling) From what I was told a great shooter. College ?
Garin Veris- Was a beast on the boards- Stanford- football

Others
Steve Bayless
Clint Austin
Ryan Brown
Ron Reutinger
Chris Givins- Had to put him on here- the best all around athlete to ever play at CHS
Lee Osbourn-Spelling
Larry Cox
Ray Chambers

I know there are allot more that I am missing. However Caves Fans. Have fun with this. O.R Prep out
O.R.prep
Waterboy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Top 5 Chillicothe B-ball Players of all time

Postby bronc21 » March 3rd, 2008, 8:22 pm

O.R.prep wrote:With the end of Anthony (Humpty) Hitchens high school hoop career soon coming to the end. I thought it would be a great time to get some thoughts on this topic. I know there are allot of names I won't get on here but here it is.

TOP 5
Anthony(Humpty) Hitchens- the best PG to ever play at CHS- Akron-U
Mark Bayless- Played both guard spots but is more of a two gaurd- Played a couple years at Ohio State
Gorden Mickie (spelling)Played at Indiana
Joe Glassgow(spelling) From what I was told a great shooter. College ?
Garin Veris- Was a beast on the boards- Stanford- football

Others
Steve Bayless
Clint Austin
Ryan Brown
Ron Reutinger
Chris Givins- Had to put him on here- the best all around athlete to ever play at CHS
Lee Osbourn-Spelling
Larry Cox
Ray Chambers

I know there are allot more that I am missing. However Caves Fans. Have fun with this. O.R Prep out

givins was the 2nd best all around athlete....no one has even come close to garin veris.....all-american, football,track,and basketball

for the old timers. neil johnston - led NBA in rebounding
i think joe glassco starred at capital u.
bronc21
SEO

Postby hitchbone64 » March 3rd, 2008, 9:26 pm

orprep...

Good topic that will be debated for a long time. First, let me say Chris Givens is a top 5 all time athlete in my book, but not #1. I love him to death, but Garin Veris has to be in the Top 2 (I can't go back pre-70's). Garin was not only All-American in Football, but also 1st Team All-State in Basketball, and a State Champion in Track and Field (Shot and Disc were his specialty). Most probably never saw Garin through a fastball, but you would not want to stand in front of him, nor pitch to him.

As for others that rank up with there, I have to add the following as compared to your current list:

Fred Fairrow
Jeff Benson
Mike Fairrow
Beverly Brothers (quite a few of them including Tony "Bones" Beverly)
Gause Brothers (great athlete, not sure which ones on the boards)
Fuzzy Harris

I will think of others.

Also, if you list my man Lee Osborne, then you have to list Jeff Doles off the 80-81 team as well.
hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby mtswngrvsg » March 3rd, 2008, 9:42 pm

I realy can not say much about this but one that sticks out in my mind from watching a game in the 70's was Mark Bayless for sure.
mtswngrvsg
SEOP

Postby bronc21 » March 3rd, 2008, 9:52 pm

hitch
james gause was the rebounder- built like a rock
andrew played guard
bronc21
SEO

Postby O.R.prep » March 3rd, 2008, 10:08 pm

Bronc/Hitch- Sorry- it is not that I don't respect Garin. I only seen him on the basketball court as a youngster. Just did not know of his other acomplishments ( well football thats a no brainer) But track and field andbaseball I never knew. Like I said I was a youngster.

However I no you guys could add some that was before my time. But what is your thought on the top five. agree or disagree
O.R PREP OUT
O.R.prep
Waterboy

Postby hitchbone64 » March 3rd, 2008, 10:45 pm

^^^^^

That team could win a state title for sure. I am going to sleep on it, as the more I think about it, the more names come to me. Also, because the era was so different, ppg, etc do not really stack up. However, the team has to start with Bayless and Mickey and with what Hump has done, he has to be there as well.

Will take another look tomorrow.

Also, O.R., you are aging us old heads, because we can look back. I am going to have to ask hitchbone, sr his opinion. Or better yet, this will be a good barber shop question.

Bronc has me thinking about the Gause boys, and now another name comes to mind. Terry Richardson (Caleb Knights uncle), could sure handle his own as well.

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!! 3 DOWN!
hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby Lamont Cranston » March 4th, 2008, 3:01 am

OR and Hitchbone, here's 5 (no particular order): Hitchens, Bayless, Veris, Mickey, Johnston. Really surprised no one mentioned Neil Johnston before now. And really, there is likely no one left alive that saw him play. But, the next time you are at the Hat', read the accomplishments on his Hall of Fame plaque. Simply amazing...
Lamont Cranston
SE

Postby hitchbone64 » March 4th, 2008, 7:34 am

^^^^

LC,

bronc21 picked up Neil in an earlier post. That is why I did not list him as well. By the end of this, maybe we can come up with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd team and then honorable mention.

GO CAVS!!!
hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby sportsnut614 » March 5th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Tod Gallaugher should be added to your long list
sportsnut614
Waterboy

Postby hitchbone64 » March 5th, 2008, 10:00 pm

I was thinking about Todd and also Jim Kerrison (sp) was a very good big man. I also would add the name Eric Harris to the list. I remember Eric putting up one of the highest scoring games in Chilly history.

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!! 3 DOWN!
hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby sgraves » March 27th, 2008, 3:57 pm

I've got one...probably deserving for your consideration.

I think the better history buffs out there would recall the name Wayne "Leroy" Stevens, my cousin. He played at CHS back in the 1950s. He played with Oscar Robertson at Univ. of Cincinnati and was drafted by the old NBA team the Cincinnati Royals. The "Big O" called him the best defender he ever played against...he was also state high jump champion.

He's in the CHS athletic hall of fame.

I know he's old school, but I think he might be the only CHS alum to make it to the NBA, even though his career with the big boys was short.
sgraves
Waterboy

Postby hitchbone64 » March 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm

sgraves wrote:I've got one...probably deserving for your consideration.

I think the better history buffs out there would recall the name Wayne "Leroy" Stevens, my cousin. He played at CHS back in the 1950s. He played with Oscar Robertson at Univ. of Cincinnati and was drafted by the old NBA team the Cincinnati Royals. The "Big O" called him the best defender he ever played against...he was also state high jump champion.

He's in the CHS athletic hall of fame.

I know he's old school, but I think he might be the only CHS alum to make it to the NBA, even though his career with the big boys was short.

sgraves,

Did he leave right before the 60-61 team. They are considered one of the all-time best teams.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMPS!!!
hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby pinapplrdhwk » March 27th, 2008, 10:57 pm

I think the real question should be the best chillicothe players that couldn't stay out of trouble. Dear god i would have loved to see some of the teams chillicothe would have placed on the court if the kids would have stayed out of trouble, and/ or would have had decent coaching for a span of a few years.

Pickle (aka Marcus Washington) would have been a great sight to have seen if Coach K would have been able to get ahold of him, and he would have had some direction with Napoleon Cross and company.

On a side note.... Butch Howard should be in that category, also what about ERIC graves....Sorry my history of CHS basketball doesn't go back that far as I am a youngin to this.

But if we talk about "ALL AROUND" athletes you have to mention kids like:
Butch Howard
Brad Bates
Billy Schmeider
Clint Austin

I could name off about 50 names
pinapplrdhwk
SE

Postby beezee420 » March 28th, 2008, 7:28 am

pinappl- i agree, butch should be listed on there as well. he was a great athlete, and could definitely play some ball.

and to add a few more names to your all around athlete category what about, adam porter, marshall upshaw, phil beverly, troy thomas, cj banks, there are others i'm sure but i can't think of names right now.
beezee420
SEO

Postby sgraves » March 28th, 2008, 9:57 am

I think Wayne Stevens was in the CHS class of 1954, he played down at UC with Oscar in the very late 1950s, maybe into th 1960 team, but I don't think he was part of that bunch that beat OSU. It's way before my time, but apparently Oscar used to come home with Wayne....pick up games at Poland Park!

I'd also vote for my nephew Eric Graves..(biased...yes). He scored something like 54 points one game. He had some ankle injury problems and I also thought (though I am biased) that they didn't use him much while he was at CHS....it was during the coaching "dark ages" there at CHS.

I really liked Eric Harris when I was a kid, but later Ron Rittenger was a heck of a ball player. That front line went 6'7, 6'8" and 6'6" and included Stevie Bayless and Joey Vest. I think that diffused the attention from Ron, who was very athletic, had a nice midrange game, etc. He went on to Rio Grande, but probably could have gone elsewhere.

I live in Los Angeles now and only got to watch the last couple of Cavs games on-line. That championship game is an all-time classic.

sgraves,

Did he leave right before the 60-61 team. They are considered one of the all-time best teams.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMPS!!![/quote]
sgraves
Waterboy

Postby beezee420 » March 28th, 2008, 10:26 am

sgraves wrote:I'd also vote for my nephew Eric Graves..(biased...yes). He scored something like 54 points one game. He had some ankle injury problems and I also thought (though I am biased) that they didn't use him much while he was at CHS

i remember that game. and i think that it was 52 that he scored against Hilliard Darby(may be wrong on the opponent). he was a very good player and did not for some reason get much PT(which could explain why that coach is no longer coaching at CHS). he was a silky smooth lefty with a great outside shot. i really enjoyed watching Eric "Gravytrain" Graves play. he should be added to our list as well.
beezee420
SEO

Postby hitchbone64 » March 28th, 2008, 6:14 pm

beezee420 wrote:
sgraves wrote:I'd also vote for my nephew Eric Graves..(biased...yes). He scored something like 54 points one game. He had some ankle injury problems and I also thought (though I am biased) that they didn't use him much while he was at CHS

i remember that game. and i think that it was 52 that he scored against Hilliard Darby(may be wrong on the opponent). he was a very good player and did not for some reason get much PT(which could explain why that coach is no longer coaching at CHS). he was a silky smooth lefty with a great outside shot. i really enjoyed watching Eric "Gravytrain" Graves play. he should be added to our list as well.

beezee420,

What year did Graves play? I thought the all-time scoring mark was in the 40's. I don't have a program close by, but I must have missed that one.

hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby bronc21 » March 28th, 2008, 7:46 pm

im almost positive the record is 44 points
bronc21
SEO

Postby hitchbone64 » March 28th, 2008, 8:11 pm

bronc21 wrote:im almost positive the record is 44 points

bronc21,

I agree with you...I am still digging for a program. I remember the night when Eric Harris all most broke it. Humpty also had 39 against Grove City when he was a sophmore. I thought he was going to break it that night.

hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby sgraves » March 29th, 2008, 7:39 am

bronc21 wrote:im almost positive the record is 44 points

I've got the Gazette from the day after he went off. My mom sent it to me here in LA.

I'll see if I can find it.
sgraves
Waterboy

Postby Dshanton3 » March 31st, 2008, 12:20 pm

bronc and hitch...i agree with both of you. i remember when they replayed the grove city game where humpty had 39 Dan Ramey was stating the record at 44 points and speculating whether humpty would break it that night.
Dshanton3
SEO

Postby sgraves » March 31st, 2008, 1:47 pm

Dshanton3 wrote:bronc and hitch...i agree with both of you. i remember when they replayed the grove city game where humpty had 39 Dan Ramey was stating the record at 44 points and speculating whether humpty would break it that night.

You all are probably right. I got a phone call from Eric this weekend and he doesn't think he broke any record, nor did he think he scored that many points. He thought it was in the high 30's. I don't know where I came up with so many more.

Fault my memory and my delusions of greatness for my nephew...he was flattered to even be mentioned though.

GO CAVS.
steve
sgraves
Waterboy

Postby beezee420 » March 31st, 2008, 2:49 pm

hitch- graves graduated i think in 2000(i may be wrong here). i remember the game, it was an away game i know for sure. maybe i'm just remembering the score wrong then. but i could've swore that the scoreboard thing said that he had 51 points, but then again we were in Hilliard and playing in the OCC still, so who knows. we'll just settle on that he didn't score that many and my memory is not what it used to be :lol: :lol:
beezee420
SEO

Postby hitchbone64 » March 31st, 2008, 7:23 pm

I am glad it is not just me whose memory tends to go a bit. I can't remember to take my medicine, so I can remember.

Any any event the Graves kid did light it up and was a scorer. It also tells you how tough it is to go for over 40 in a high school game. You have to be on fire and getting a whole lot of looks. In the OCC, the defense and the pace of the game alone doesn't allow for a lot of big individual scoring games.

hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby Blu_n_Whyt » March 31st, 2008, 9:04 pm

The single game mark is 42 points.

42 - Phil Brown vs Marietta in 1956 and Bill Schmeider in 2002 vs (I can't remember. It was at Hatton Gym.)
41 - Wayne Stevens vs Dover in 1953
39 - Humpty Hitchens vs Grove City in 2006
38 - Neil Johnston vs Wilmington 1946
36 - Gordon Mickey vs Lancaster 1958
35 - Steve Bayless vs Miami Trace in 1986 and Eric Graves vs Portsmouth in 2000

Blu_n_Whyt, aka Dan Ramey (with the assistance of the late "Great One" Dick Routt) and sgraves.
Last edited by Blu_n_Whyt on April 1st, 2008, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blu_n_Whyt
S

Postby sgraves » April 1st, 2008, 10:10 am

Blu_n_Whyt wrote:The single game mark is 42 points.

42 - Phil Brown vs Marietta in 1956 and Bill Schmeider in 2002 vs (I can't remember. It was at Hatton Gym.)
35 - Steve Bayless vs Miami Trace in 1986

Blu_n_Whyt, aka Dan Ramey (with the assistance of the late "Great One" Dick Routt).

I found the old newspaper clipping here in my office. Eric Graves scored 35 against Portsmouth on Jan 8, 2000. He shot 13/14 from the floor.

Interestingly enough, Wayne Stevens and Eric Graves are 2nd or 3rd cousins. My guess is that some combination of Hitchens, Mickey and/or Bayless are related as well. It's Chillicothe!

Now, I'm going to have to figure out why I was so certain Eric scored more....35...53? Had he scored 18, I might have thought he scored 81!

I think someone's point about life in the OCC is on target. It was very "Big 10", no easy buckets. When I was there, twice Lancaster (I think...who was not in the OCC) went in to that blasted "four corners" offense and basically held the ball all game. The halftime score was like 4-2 and we lost the game. I'm still angry about it...and I'm sure it really undermined the scoring average of players at CHS.

GO CAVS
sgraves
Waterboy

Postby Blu_n_Whyt » April 1st, 2008, 6:55 pm

Thanks for the info on Eric. I knew he had a handful of good games, but didn't have documentation.
I'll add him to the list.
Blu_n_Whyt
S

Postby hitchbone64 » April 1st, 2008, 7:07 pm

sgraves wrote:
Blu_n_Whyt wrote:The single game mark is 42 points.

35 - Steve Bayless vs Miami Trace in 1986

Blu_n_Whyt, aka Dan Ramey (with the assistance of the late "Great One" Dick Routt).

I found the old newspaper clipping here in my office. Eric Graves scored 35 against Portsmouth on Jan 8, 2000. He shot 13/14 from the floor.

Interestingly enough, Wayne Stevens and Eric Graves are 2nd or 3rd cousins. My guess is that some combination of Hitchens, Mickey and/or Bayless are related as well. It's Chillicothe!

Now, I'm going to have to figure out why I was so certain Eric scored more....35...53? Had he scored 18, I might have thought he scored 81!

I think someone's point about life in the OCC is on target. It was very "Big 10", no easy buckets. When I was there, twice Lancaster (I think...who was not in the OCC) went in to that blasted "four corners" offense and basically held the ball all game. The halftime score was like 4-2 and we lost the game. I'm still angry about it...and I'm sure it really undermined the scoring average of players at CHS.

GO CAVS

sgraves,

I remember the 4-2 game like it was yesterday. I played (or rather stood) in that slugfest. They were not the only team to play that way, but that was the worst example of it. Yet, they won the game. Smart strategy????

hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby Dshanton3 » April 3rd, 2008, 7:36 am

hitch, how could you stand by and let that happen? am i wrong in thinking that there is no way a team could have done that to this years cavs team? we would make them do something, even if it meant giving them a score by over-pressuring them. Coach just let you stand there, no trapping, no pressing?
Dshanton3
SEO

Postby chillout » April 3rd, 2008, 10:14 am

i agree with that list

go cavs!
chillout
S

Postby hitchbone64 » April 4th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Dshanton3 wrote:hitch, how could you stand by and let that happen? am i wrong in thinking that there is no way a team could have done that to this years cavs team? we would make them do something, even if it meant giving them a score by over-pressuring them. Coach just let you stand there, no trapping, no pressing?

dj3,

believe me, it was probably the toughest thing I ever went through as a player. However, a coaches decision is a coaches decision. I am clearly biased but statistically after Coach Tom Cuppett and before Coach Gary Kellough, we have went through some very lean times. That includes , ability to get kids to play, some lean talent years, decision making by coaches and players, but most of all, IMO, the ability to understand the kids you have and play through them versus playing through a system all the time. We stood in a zone the whole 1st half and simply did nothing. They held the ball and we stood. We were not losing so we did not have to come out and defend. At half time the decision was made to continue to stay back in a zone and not trap.

hitchbone64
SEOP

Postby sgraves » April 7th, 2008, 10:40 am

dj3,

believe me, it was probably the toughest thing I ever went through as a player. However, a coaches decision is a coaches decision. I am clearly biased but statistically after Coach Tom Cuppett and before Coach Gary Kellough, we have went through some very lean times. That includes , ability to get kids to play, some lean talent years, decision making by coaches and players, but most of all, IMO, the ability to understand the kids you have and play through them versus playing through a system all the time. We stood in a zone the whole 1st half and simply did nothing. They held the ball and we stood. We were not losing so we did not have to come out and defend. At half time the decision was made to continue to stay back in a zone and not trap.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMPS!!![/quote]

Any idea how long coach Cooper remained at CHS? He was the hot-shot coach they brought in from Florida apparently to get Ronnie, Joey, Stevie, Engel and Lil' Greg to win a championship. They were ranked in the top 5 in the state in 1983-84, but fell in the tournament to some shaggy-haired one-man wrecking crew from Wintersville. He came in after Greer, but must have left soon after I graduated. He was the coach in at least 2 of those awful games of "Lancaster Hold 'em".
sgraves
Waterboy

Postby Blu_n_Whyt » April 7th, 2008, 9:34 pm

Coach Don Cooper was at CHS just one season.
Coach Harold Bates followed for the next three seasons.
Then came Napoleon Cross for three seasons and Joe B. Stewart for the next 9 and Jeff Hobbs for five before the return of Coach Bates for another season.
In a review of winning percentages, tops in the history for Chillicothe:
Tom Cuppett - 77% 1969-81 (11 seasons) 175-52
Don Gatchell - 76.1% 1954-57 (3 seasons) 48-15
Gary Kellough - 75.6% 2005-08 (3 seasons to present) 56-18
Dick Dolan - 71.8% 1957-62 (5 seasons) 79-31
Don Cooper - 70.8% 1983-84 (1 seasons) 17-7
Ed Alexinas - 61.7% 1945-54 (9 seasons) 116-72
Earl Young - 61.6% 1923-45 (22 seasons) 223-139
Howard Corky Miller - 58% 1962-69 (7 seasons) 76-55
Blu_n_Whyt
S

Postby hitchbone64 » April 10th, 2008, 10:19 pm

^^^^

Proves my case about the time period between Cuppett and Kellough. None of the coaches made this winning percentage list. I know some will say the OCC, but I say we could have done better. Unfortunately, this topic is about Top 5 ball-players, but many from the last 20 plus years won't get much play because of the team performance.

This team deserves to be inducted immediately intothe CHS Hall of Fame. I believe last years squad could very easily be discussed at that level as well.

hitchbone64
SEOP

Next

Return to Boys Basketball