OVC-WILL THEY ADD SCHOOLS

Moderator: SEOP Mods

Re: OVC-WILL THEY ADD SCHOOLS

Postby You're Tiger Bait » October 5th, 2013, 10:06 am

dragonsfan24 wrote:I'm totally down to add Portsmouth and Gallipolis

And for the record, I wasn't trying to talk smack about Ironton. IIRC, Ironton was given the option of joining when they added River Valley back in 2002 and declined, which is why I added the comment in the first place.

no worries hoss , we all have our own thoughts and opinions.
You're Tiger Bait
SEOP LEGE

Teams: IHS TIGERS, BUCKEYES, BENGALS.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cg-ironton fan » October 5th, 2013, 10:37 am

who controls how it works ? how they decide who is in or not ?
cg-ironton fan
SEO

Location: front row at reds game either by 1st base or left field!
Teams: cincinnati reds

Postby Orange and Brown » October 5th, 2013, 11:27 am

cg-ironton fan wrote:who controls how it works ? how they decide who is in or not ?

It depends on the league but usually a school will apply on its own or after being invited and the member schools vote weather they want that school in or not........
Each league has there own twist such as what percentage of votes needed for approval and what not.
Orange and Brown
SEOP LEG

Teams: Nelsonville-York, Reds, Bulls

Postby cg-ironton fan » October 5th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Orange and Brown wrote:
cg-ironton fan wrote:who controls how it works ? how they decide who is in or not ?

It depends on the league but usually a school will apply on its own or after being invited and the member schools vote weather they want that school in or not........
Each league has there own twist such as what percentage of votes needed for approval and what not.

so example if 5 teams only want PORTSMOUTH in that's all that comes in ??? BIG mistake coming for Portsmouth if they accept this without other QUALITY teams coming
cg-ironton fan
SEO

Postby Bear » October 5th, 2013, 7:31 pm

They did apply two years ago but were voted down by CG and RH. They are in the MSOVC starting next year on a probationary membership for the next two years. They'll get a vote one way or another depending on the facilities that will be used during their stint.
Bear
SEO

Postby 2trap_4ever » October 5th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Dundas wrote:So is it just speculation or does someone have confirmation that Portsmouth is joining the OVC?

Through the people I know inside the Grove I can confirm as well that Portsmouth is going to be the newest member of the OVC.
2trap_4ever
SEOP

Location: Getting ready to watch the Grove no matter where they are.

Postby ohbuckeye2 » October 5th, 2013, 11:17 pm

2trap_4ever wrote:
Dundas wrote:So is it just speculation or does someone have confirmation that Portsmouth is joining the OVC?

Through the people I know inside the Grove I can confirm as well that Portsmouth is going to be the newest member of the OVC.

When will their first year be in the OVC? Don't they still have to give the SEOAL a 2 year notice that they are leaving?
ohbuckeye2
SEOP

Postby maniac66 » October 6th, 2013, 8:35 am

If the OVC would make the move to invite Portsmouth and reach out to gallipolis to join I would love to see them weigh the option of asking Ironton to join.
I know Ironton would be a reach to be invited but I truly believe if all 3 teams would join the OVC it could become a conference that could compete with the SOC in a few years.
Or at least compete better and Basketball would vastly improve.
Just my thought South Point is moving in the right direction with their football and so is Fairland be a nive league with decent travel for every team.
Just a dream maybe but it would be nice to see.
maniac66
SEOP

Teams: TIGERS

Postby You're Tiger Bait » October 6th, 2013, 8:47 am

that would be nice.
You're Tiger Bait
SEOP LEGE

Postby cg-ironton fan » October 6th, 2013, 10:40 am

maniac66 wrote:If the OVC would make the move to invite Portsmouth and reach out to gallipolis to join I would love to see them weigh the option of asking Ironton to join.
I know Ironton would be a reach to be invited but I truly believe if all 3 teams would join the OVC it could become a conference that could compete with the SOC in a few years.
Or at least compete better and Basketball would vastly improve.
Just my thought South Point is moving in the right direction with their football and so is Fairland be a nive league with decent travel for every team.
Just a dream maybe but it would be nice to see.

your exactly right and if Portsmouth was smart they would say that is the only way there coming is if u bring gallipolis and ironton with us!!!

if just Portsmouth comes your going to get Portsmouth and fairland battling everyyear for ovc with cg being a darkhorse
cg-ironton fan
SEO

Postby footballfan » October 6th, 2013, 11:17 am

Just a thought, but I don't think Portsmouth is in any type of position to make demands to the OVC. They have approached both the SOC and OVC about joining for a few years on multiple occasions. I think those at Portsmouth know that their school is not growing in numbers and are thinking about the future. They are Division 5 now....very comparable in size to RH, SP, Fairland, and Chesapeake.....if they join, they can keep their first 5 games as is and pick up the OVC slate to replace Logan, Jackson, Chillicothe, Warren, and Gallia. This year, if they had the OVC schedule they would probably win at least 4 OVC games and with wins over West and Ironton would qualify for the playoffs....their chances are not great with who they have left on the schedule this season. But, if anyone in Portsmouth thinks like some of you, they may find themselves without a league and scrambling around looking for games. Just a thought.
footballfan
SE

Postby goUK » October 6th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Fairland will win the ovc this year, but the last time they won an ovc in football was what, in the 90's? They are not a rare gem that has been stuck in the ovc. Except for baseball they are typically very mediocre.

Football fan is right, portsmouth should just be thankful, because i think the ovc may be completely different in a couple years.Portsmouth has zero chance to make playoffs ever if they stay in the seoal

Everyone thinks of football and basketball, but there is a lot more to it.

If the ovc adds portsmouth and ironton then maybe they will rise above the jv football level. I think gallia is pushing it, they seem very loyal to the seoal.
goUK
S

Postby 2trap_4ever » October 6th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Let me make this clear, IRONTON WILL NEVER BE IN THE OVC, and they have themselves to blame. From what I know the only people keeping Ironton out is Ironton. They have been invited to join and it is their attitude toward the OVC that keeps them out, and yes Coal Grove has voted against them because of their attitude, when they give their side as to why they should be in the OVC it is more of a what can the conference do for us instead of what they can do to help the conference. If Ironton wants in a conference and the OVC is the one then some humility would help them greatly.
2trap_4ever
SEOP

Postby cg-ironton fan » October 6th, 2013, 9:39 pm

2trap_4ever wrote:Let me make this clear, IRONTON WILL NEVER BE IN THE OVC, and they have themselves to blame. From what I know the only people keeping Ironton out is Ironton. They have been invited to join and it is their attitude toward the OVC that keeps them out, and yes Coal Grove has voted against them because of their attitude, when they give their side as to why they should be in the OVC it is more of a what can the conference do for us instead of what they can do to help the conference. If Ironton wants in a conference and the OVC is the one then some humility would help them greatly.

the OVC is currently 11-25 and will finish 20-40 who would want into that mess ??? should toss RH and RV and bring Portsmouth , Gallipolis , Ironton and Oak hill
cg-ironton fan
SEO

Postby NYBuckeye96 » October 6th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Does the TVC finally go to 3 divisions and accept the teams they turned down a couple years ago.....Warren and Jackson?
NYBuckeye96
SEOP LE

Teams: NYHS

Postby EasternDspy » October 6th, 2013, 10:55 pm

I think Fort Frye wants to become more of a Southeastern District team and would love to join TVC if it were to go 3 divisions.
EasternDspy
SEOP L

Postby EasternDspy » October 6th, 2013, 11:12 pm

New TVC Idea- Big- Athens, Warren, Jackson , Meigs, River Valley, Vinton C. Middle- Wellston, Nelsonville, Alexander, Fort Frye , Federal Hocking, Belpre Small- Waterford, Miller, Southern, Trimble, South Galia, Eastern
EasternDspy
SEOP L

Postby warrior90 » October 7th, 2013, 7:15 am

EasternDspy wrote:New TVC Idea- Big- Athens, Warren, Jackson , Meigs, River Valley, Vinton C. Middle- Wellston, Nelsonville, Alexander, Fort Frye , Federal Hocking, Belpre Small- Waterford, Miller, Southern, Trimble, South Galia, Eastern

I would love to see Logan in that mix also for the big schools. I think Warren would love to be in something like that, but we are not wanted by a couple of schools from last I heard.
warrior90
SE

Teams: Warren

Postby I AM FORREST » October 10th, 2013, 9:04 am

FORREST SAYS: BREAKING NEWS Trojans newest member of OVC!!! Meeting with the Tigers next week!!! :122246 :122246
I AM FORREST
SE

Postby cg-ironton fan » October 10th, 2013, 9:34 am

I AM FORREST wrote:FORREST SAYS: BREAKING NEWS Trojans newest member of OVC!!! Meeting with the Tigers next week!!! :122246 :122246

just curious if it was 5-0 vote ?? I only see 3 listings not filled for Portsmouth football next year on myohsaa so I am assuming it be like 2015 starting (football) . I am curious about this ironton meeting it would be nice for closer travel but I am thinking they wont accept, who knows time will tell.
cg-ironton fan
SEO

Postby dragonsfan24 » October 10th, 2013, 12:22 pm

OHSAA hasn't filled Fairland's football schedule as of the last time I checked.
On another thread someone had mentioned that Portsmouth may be added for all sports except football for 2014-15 because many schools had already replaced River Valley with another OOC game, but we'll see what happens.
dragonsfan24
SEO

Teams: Dragons, HERD, Bucks, Bengals

Postby I AM FORREST » October 10th, 2013, 12:44 pm

FORREST SAYS: update on the new league. OVC will meet with Ironton and Gallipolis on Monday. Portsmouth is in and will start play in football in 15 possibly next yr for other sports. Check back for future updates. :lol: :lol:
I AM FORREST
SE

Postby readn,writn,&rt243 » October 10th, 2013, 1:02 pm

dragonsfan24 wrote:OHSAA hasn't filled Fairland's football schedule as of the last time I checked.
On another thread someone had mentioned that Portsmouth may be added for all sports except football for 2014-15 because many schools had already replaced River Valley with another OOC game, but we'll see what happens.

It's up to the AD or Coach to log into their MYOHSAA account and update their schedules.
readn,writn,&rt243
S

Postby dragonsfan24 » October 10th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Well then they havent done it yet.

Sidebar: I think it would be awesome to add Gallipolis and Ironton. It takes us to 8 schools which limits OOC scheduling for football, but they may talk about splitting it up based on enrollment/division or geography so you can still schedule up to 4-5 OOC games by playing everyone in your division and then rotating who you play in the other.
dragonsfan24
SEO

Teams: Dragons, HERD, Bucks, Bengals

Postby maniac66 » October 10th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Still with 8 league members that leaves you with 3 games for Out of Conference scheduling which isn't bad.
If ironton got in they could still keep Ashland and work on two other teams such as Jackson Wheelersburg.
But first thing first have to get the invite and go from there if they take Gallia Academy and Ironton to will they stop there or look at other options and teams that is the Question.
maniac66
SEOP

Teams: TIGERS

Postby 2trap_4ever » October 10th, 2013, 3:57 pm

dragonsfan24 wrote:Well then they havent done it yet.

Sidebar: I think it would be awesome to add Gallipolis and Ironton. It takes us to 8 schools which limits OOC scheduling for football, but they may talk about splitting it up based on enrollment/division or geography so you can still schedule up to 4-5 OOC games by playing everyone in your division and then rotating who you play in the other.

If you add Gallia and Ironton to the league and make it two divisions using either total school enrollment or OHSAA boys enrollment for football you get the same divisions that I think no one will like.

Bigger Schools
Gallia Academy
Rock Hill
Fairland
South Point

Small Schools
Coal Grove
Ironton
Chesapeake
Portsmouth

But this is just for football, if Ironton and Gallia both get in then only football should have divisions, don't see a reason for any other sports.
2trap_4ever
SEOP

Postby I AM FORREST » October 10th, 2013, 6:18 pm

FORREST SAYS: BREAKING NEWS Gallipolis has DECLINED its offer to join the OVC, said they were gonna stay in their conference!!
I AM FORREST
SE

Postby I AM FORREST » October 10th, 2013, 6:20 pm

FORREST SAYS: Ironton is scheduled to meet with the OVC Monday at South Point!!
I AM FORREST
SE

Postby bRuIsEr » October 10th, 2013, 7:22 pm

not sure the ovc wants ironton in, they have rejected them in the past.
bRuIsEr
SE

Teams: The Herd, Bengals, Reds, Bucks

Postby hoot » October 11th, 2013, 6:35 am

Portsmouth now in ; wonder who may be next ? :122246
hoot
SEO

Postby Crab's brother » October 11th, 2013, 7:31 am

Just my opinion, but it doesn't make sense to add Ironton if they don't have someone to come along. Gallia would have been great, but I don't see a good situation with 7 teams.

That leaves schools with league byes in football and teams looking for Friday games in basketball. That just doesn't seem like a very good idea.
Crab's brother
SEOP Staff

Postby TigerTownTurkey » October 11th, 2013, 7:35 am

Crab's brother wrote:Just my opinion, but it doesn't make sense to add Ironton if they don't have someone to come along. Gallia would have been great, but I don't see a good situation with 7 teams.

That leaves schools with league byes in football and teams looking for Friday games in basketball. That just doesn't seem like a very good idea.

good point Crab and I am sure the OVC is looking into that problem.......in fact I am positive that issue is under consideration..
TigerTownTurkey
SEOP LEGEND

Teams: cleveland

Postby Crab's brother » October 11th, 2013, 7:44 am

I think it is an issue for the SOC going into next season. With Northwest leaving the league, I know that Valley has had to do some real juggling to move South Point to week 8 and then changing the pre-league slate.
Crab's brother
SEOP Staff

Postby 2trap_4ever » October 11th, 2013, 8:47 am

Crab's brother wrote:Just my opinion, but it doesn't make sense to add Ironton if they don't have someone to come along. Gallia would have been great, but I don't see a good situation with 7 teams.

Story that will be in the Ironton Tribune today states that next week the conference will consider Ironton and look at Raceland as possible expansion as well.
2trap_4ever
SEOP

Postby You're Tiger Bait » October 11th, 2013, 9:11 am

Re: What's next for the SEOAL?

Postby You're Tiger Bait » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:06 am

trojandave wrote:I will miss the competition that the SEOAL provided........but for my Portsmouth Trojans, the OVC is in the long term a better option. Our enrollment has been under 200 boys for the last half of a decade, and probably won't get any significant gains in the near future. It is tough to compete with our numbers on a consistent basis, although I am very proud to see the Trojans win SEOAL titles in boys basketball, boys and girls tennis. Portsmouth will compete well in the OVC because the enrollments of the member schools are fairly similar.

What was once thought as a great idea to bring Zanesville, Ironton, Chillicothe, and Portsmouth into the SEOAL came back to haunt the league, and could very well have led to Athens and Marietta leaving as well.......and I think that travel, rather than the increased level of competition, was the reason for the demise. Travel is such a big issue in today's high school athletics, not just in SE Ohio, but around the state. Look at the state's largest conference, the OCC......there's not much travel in any direction for any of the members. More travel incurs more cost, and being cost efficient is critical to the survival of HS sports.......and when you don't win very much, fans don't come, and money doesn't come through the turnstiles as a result.

I hope the SEOAL stays together, and I think it can, but it will take some creative thinking on the part of SEOAL school administrators. Best wishes to the SEOAL!!

GO TROJANS!!

WELL SAID DAVE. ------------i can't believe that people still don't actually see that the seoal is not a good fit for teams like ironton and Portsmouth these days. i loved it in the 70's as a young'un traveling there on the greyhound. but i wasn't paying for the fuel. and at that age never knew anything about the other sports traveling halfway across the state on school nights, then getting home at 1 or 2 am, before school starts the next day.just as the landscape is changing in college football, i see more of it for ohio high school football. it only makes good sense. i have no trouble like ironton going to Columbus saint Charles tonight to play them, because it is a Friday game. but as dave said , about the enrollment it is what it is, ironton has 162 boys , they almost fell from d4 to d6, only missing it by 6 boys. st. Charles was d1 last year before the change, they are now a huge d2 school, and all male. we cannot compete against that.we used to , but not at the present time, just too many horse on these teams. i look for this game to be very ugly tonight, after getting drilled by a huge Johnson central ky. team last week, a trip to saint Charles tonight, and next week a trip back to Columbus to play bishop Hartley next week. we may not have enough healthy kids left to play the last 2 games, i mean that literally. it looks like a mash unit on the sidelines now. i never thought i'd see the day that Chesapeake wheelersburg, and piketon were bigger schools enrollment wise than ironton, but it is reality now.st. Charles smashed Columbus desales last week like 36-0. i remember the days of constantly every year the fighting tigers playing desales very competitive, and sometimes winning. generally the fighting tigers were leading, and desales would come from behind and win, they just had too many fresh horses, when a team has 100 athletes on the field, and jv's not dressing, and you have 35/38 kids. it doesn't add up. sometimes desales would bring in 11 fresh bodies at a time, all the same size, huge.and tonight we play an all male d2 school that thumped them. it will not be pretty. but that was a different era. i fear i'll see ironton in the ovcin the very near future but the majority of the school's in the ovc now have a larger enrollment than ironton. i'd love to see ironton in the soc , but don't think that will happen. and ironton is struggling to get a full schedule now as an independent, as a result of their past success with teams like this. but that may be years away competing with these schools again, if ever. we may have to bite the bullet and downsize. but i promise you one thing, if ironton leagues up, their non conference schedule will still look like nobody else's for a school their size. because that has worked for so many decades. ----but things, and times , they are a changing. YTB
You're Tiger Bait
SEOP LEGE

PreviousNext

Return to Football